Thursday, May 25, 2006

Mom is like a flower







Today was one of my fullest days so far, and I spent most of it with my mom! Isn't she lovely?
First I visited my sister Glenda at work and met her friends. Then my mom and I picked up flowers and took them to some relatives' grave sites. After that we enjoyed a manicure and pedicure. All I remember is the manicurest saying, "Wow, your nails are really bad!" It's been about a year, so I wasn't offended. She was right! Then we ate lunch at Polly's and I enjoyed boysenberry pie, something we don't have in Honduras. We went shopping, oh! and enjoyed a mocha blended at Coffee Bean and Tea Leaf. There's only one coffee shop left on my list. bzzz!
Finally, we made it to Costco, and good thing we didn't go hungry! We do have a place like that in Honduras, but that's prime breeding ground for culture shock if you've been in a 3rd world country for awhile!
While I'm thinking of it, there are some other things I've noticed that are different here than there, that I may not have noticed in Honduras, such as...

*here we throw our paper in the toilet, not in the trash can
*here there are only cars, not busses or taxi's, but if I do happen to see a buss, people have to wait on a bench at a designated place, and can't get on until the doors open.
*coffee cups are GI-NORMOUS! and expensive! the most expensive item in Honduras is $1.50, and they only come in one size, equivalent to a Starbucks tall here (small).
*here hot water comes out not only of the shower, but the sinks too! ooh, aah...
*here even college students have washers and dryers in their apts! daaaaaaaang!
*there are no internet cafes here! but there's also not a lot of down time here to spend in an intenet cafe. oh wait, i use the internet in the house...
*here I hear people speaking Spanish in public, but in Honduras, I don't hear English when I'm out and about.
*here, usually, people are patient enough to wait for a car pulling out or what not, but not in Honduras. Everyones in a hurry, but everyones always late...I havn't quite figured that out yet.
I'm sure I'll think of more within the next week. stay tuned...

No comments:

Post a Comment