Tuesday, May 16, 2006

Home in North America

I'm "home", in 'da LBC, YO! It's nice to be home, although it feels really cold here. I can't go anywhere without a sweater. As most of you know, I surprised my parents by coming home a week earlier than I said I was going to. It was a nice surprise for Mother's Day. My sister took my parents out for dinner Sat. night the 12th and gave my mom a card with a picture of she and I inside and my real flight plan, highlighted. My mom didn't notice at first glance (or second or third), then she went crazy and made a loud broo-ha-ha in the restaurant. But anyone who's been to Johnny Reb's knows that she probably wasn't heard very well in there.
My mom, bro-in-law Charles, and good friend Laura came to the airport to pick me up. Laura surprised ME by being there.
I went to church Sunday and that was great, especially when Greg gave his rendition of how to say "Tegucigalpa". So far I've been relaxin, sleeping, and eating lot's of great foods I missed. Sunday one of our first stops was Whole Foods Market. I mostly bought fruit juice, but also I bought organic Ben n Jerry's, and soy milk. Just so you know.
I think I will be at least 10 pounds heavier by the time i go back to Honduras. Another food i really missed was mexican food, so dad and I went there for lunch today. It's different than the mexican places we have in honduras.
I went to a clinic yesterday to get meds for this cough and sore throat. It's so incredibly hot and humid in Honduras I sleep with my window open and the fan on me. I don't think that was such a great idea. It's nice to sleep UNDER my covers here. cozy.
I havn't had reverse culture shock yet, not even when i went to costco the other day. But I've been running on pure adrenaline the last couple days. I'll keep you updated on what's happening. So far I've not let any spanish slip out, but i think everything in spanish, then have to make it come out in english. by the time i get used to being here it'll be time to go back.
more later...

2 comments:

  1. hey I ate at Johnny Reb's Monday before heading back to Austin. It's always good to get home for Mother's Day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. so glad to have you home and so glad that we pulled the surprise off as well as we did! So have you had in n out burger yet??

    ReplyDelete