Wednesday, May 10, 2006

Wednesday

ah, the mid point of the week. I've not been feeling too hot the last two days, got some sinus/allergy thing going on, so the last two days i've been a bit slow. I did have a successful journey to the bank, however, for once. The line was only about 30 minutes long and Beto was there to stand in line for me when i had to go to the atm to get out money.
the phone bill situation: first of all the good news: we still have our same number, and well, there's no bad news. It wasn't nearly as bad as we thought. About $50 for all our calls since January. Not bad.
Cell phone providers here: there's about 3 main ones' that i know of. Some do offer plans, but the most common route here is to buy your company's phone card for either 5,10, or 15 dollars and it has a secret code. you punch it into your phone and you get a certain amount of minutes. when those are up you buy another card. it's cheaper than a plan.
So today was Mother's Day in Guatemala. Not that I'm there, but just so you learn something new. It's May 10 every year, no matter what day. But here in Honduras it's the same day as in the States.
This week at school has been good, but i'm down to only 5 students now. One girls' family left on vacation becasue her dad is now retired and they wanted to go together, I don't really understand it. The mom wanted us to do all of her daughter's evaluations before they left. She said if her daughter, in my class, was failing any class, they wouldn't go. Well, she wasn't doing too well in any class but they went anyway. Now I know part of the reason why I had so many problems with her in the classroom.
Today another girl was sick and antoher boy went home sick, so by lunch i had 3 kids. We practiced for the mother's day celebration this Friday.
This morning I woke up thinking it was Thursday and for one second
I was so happy! Then I realized it was only Wednesday, but now tomorrow is THursday and I'm so relieved. Tomorrow we will practice a lot for the Mother's Day thing on Friday and Friday morning we will practice until 10, then the Celebration happens, and we go home at 11:30.
Also, Betos' best friend and his wife of 4 months, who's also from the States, are visiting and we will get to have some quality time with them this week.
May you all have a relieving Thursday. hmm...take that as you will

1 comment:

  1. I found out about Mother's Day on the 10th yesterday. It is also Mother's Day in Mexico every May 10th. One of the guys here at work (and his wife and family) bought me a very nice card that makes music and a bouquet of suckers. Very thoughtful. And Von's was packed last night with everyone buying flowers and balloons!!

    ReplyDelete