Friday, May 05, 2006

End of the week!

Thank goodness it's Friday! Had a great day today. Most of the day my 4th graders practiced for the mother's day presentation next friday. We decided on "Girls just want to have fun" and "Diamonds are a girls best friend" from Moulin rouge, the movie. Not the most wholesome choices in the world but we only have 5 days to practice and i had to make it fun or my kids would pout in the corner and make my life a living, well, something close to that. The dance to "diamonds" my kids mostly made up themselves, althought i did use some of my natural choreography skills to help them out. It is really fun. I felt like a play director, saying "places" , counting down from 3, showing them how i wanted some moves. I think I found my new calling. Although I would only choreograph to songs like "shout to the Lord" and such.
You ever learn a bad word in a nother language, and it doesnt feel the same way as when you say a bad word in english because it doesnt have the emotion, or stigma attached to it. Well, I think one of my students had that experience the other day (again, but different student and diffferent word). During math we explored how to find the volume of a figure I handed out snap cubes so they could build figures and easily see what is volume. For the last 10 minutes of class I let them play with them and build what they wanted. Of course they worked together to build the largest tower of Unifix Cubes known to man! And when it fell, one student said, "Well, you know what I want to say to that? S#$%!" I had to laugh inside. I don't like the word nor did I let him think it is ok to say it, but the way it came out, with his accent and all...
Well, maybe not everyone will appreciate that story but it was something unusual that happened, that's for sure.

2 comments:

  1. I totally get that....everytime one of my guys at work says "sheet rock" I have to laugh...you get the idea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used to tutor a Korean boy and he would say the most #$%&$#!!#@%& things and not realize just how impolite he was being. I had to explain a few things to him about English swear words. He had heard the naughty little words at the American movies in Seoul.
    Hey, when will you be in Long Beach?

    ReplyDelete