Monday, May 22, 2006

Sunday

*Correction: My mom didn't drive from Long Beach to San Bernadino in 10 minutes, but now I realize that I made it sound like that. My mom is known to drive pretty fast though.

Thanks to all who came to class at the Long Beach church today. A few things I wanted to add that I some people brought to my attention later.

The church Beto and I attend has on average 50 people each Sunday, and about 30 of those, I'd guess, are women and children.

Many questions I wish I'd been more informed myself to give better answers, but one area in particular that I wanted to follow up on is about the AIDS crisis in Honduras. One of the largest cities outside of the capital is San Pedro Sula, which some call the capital of AIDS in Central America. I gathered just a bit of info, but if you go to google.com and type in AIDS in Honduras, you'll get plenty of info.



Adults age 15-49 with HIV/AIDS, 2003
59,000
New HIV infections, 2004
nd
Adult HIV prevalence (%), 2003
1.8
Women age 15-49 with HIV/AIDS, 2003
33,000
Children with HIV/AIDS, 2003
3,900
AIDS orphans (ages 0-17), 2003
nd
AIDS deaths, 2003
4,100
nd = No data
Source: UNAIDS

Please be praying for the country of Honduras that it will turn spiritually, and for the Churches of Christ there. Beto and I are hoping to have a ministry to street children or to children in hospitals sometime in the future. There is a large population of street kids in Tegucigalpa, and there are a variety of home care programs available, including Jovenes en Camino, a Church of Christ supported boys home about an hour out of Tegucigalpa, in "the country".You can learn more about it at
jovenesencamino.org

1 comment:

  1. I thought you did great and some great questions were asked and answered! I am really proud to call you my sistah!!

    ReplyDelete