Tuesday, May 02, 2006

A day in the life

Last Friday Amber and I had two fun girls come in to stay with us for a month. They are spanish majors from OK Christian and are here to help in whatever way possible while improving their spanish. Friday when they arrived we didn´t have beds yet but after meeting the bed maker man 2 hours later than he said( Honduras time) we had a new set of bunk beds for our guest room! how exciting! we all get along well. Today have another girl coming in. This summer will be packed full with groups and people staying with us. The summer´s going to go by very fast, I feel.
Saturday I worked at the school in the morning. My tutored kids never did come. Sunday we went to church and I stayed up late just because I could. Yesterday was yet another holiday, Labor Day, here in Honduras. I walked to a huge warehouse like artesin shop full of pottery, mugs, jewelry, leather goods, etc. On my way there I unexpectedly walked through a march of laborers, like they have every year on this day, but this day coincided with the immigrant boycott of the U.S. which I heard that some people here were going to participate in as well, boycotting Burger King, for example. Their concept is understandable yet difficult to understand at the same time. Anyways, I walked through this protest quickly, as I saw signs against Bush and the U.S. , and everyone holding flags that rallied for immigrant rights. Now if i may use my blog liberties to state what I feel. These immigrants do do a lot of work in the States, but they are illegal. Illegal being they key word. I am a legal immigrant here in Honduras and have to go through all kind of rigamurol to stay here. If I were living here illegaly, I wuldn´t be presenting myself out in broad daylight expecting hte government to give me some kind of special recognition or the same rights as legal or resident workers. And then I saw a short blurb this morning on the news about a ¨Day without a Gringo¨. whats that all about? That´s a good idea. without the gringo´s, the illegal immigrants wouldn´t be there. Then again, without the gringo´s who first came to North America, their wouldn´t be these illegal immigrants, because their people owned the land in the first place.
Have a great time at Lectureship everyone who´s going!

5 comments:

  1. I'm a Hondurian and a soon to be new blogger. I'm new to this site so the first thing I typed in the search box was “Honduras” and wa,la!!!. here I find your blog talking about you being in Honduras and expressing your self about the protest march of immigrants in Honduras. And I related to your blog because I participated to a similar march yesterday here in Chicago. I guess you are free to express where ever you want after all its your blog but I also see that we have a chance to comment to your blog… I will try to be as open minded as I can and please do the same. I was born in Honduras my mother left our country when I was only one and half year old, she left due to very low unemployment in our country. she enter the US legally but she decided to stayed after her visa expire. (she is now a US Citizens and so am I.) I came 13 years later. And I lived here in Chicago since, almost half of my life. Well now that you know who I am. Let me tell you what I think about your comments; the only thing that you need it to do to enter Honduras was to buy a ticket get in the plane and pay a fee and that’s it! you can now work earn your living as you can and want in our country. In the other hand that the same for us. Not going to go in detailed how a person coming from any type of background in Honduras has to go through to get here. Well anyways my mother had to work 13 years to become legal resident in this country, must of those years she worked 2 jobs, payed taxes in both jobs, never ask for help from the US government not even when she saw herself picking up coke-cans in the garbage; just to pay her rent and maybe have a couple of dollars to send back to us in Honduras. She never filled her taxes so that means she over payed her taxes for 13 years. Now many immigrants that come to this country are doing the same and can relate to this story. These I know because I’m a real estate agent and get to meet many of this people that the only thing they want out this country is the American dream. Now tell me, do you think that’s fair? And its not about who was here first or got here last. If we go there than we know who will loose this argument. (US being a country build of immigrants) what we are trying to show the US PEOPLE and the rest of the world its that we have a problem and lets try to work together to fix it. Most of Hispanic Hondurians included come to the US not in search of new land or to claim your jobs or rights but in search of better future something that any American will related to, other wise why are you in Honduras. obviously you don’t understand why there was a protest march here in Chicago as well to one in Honduras Again this is not a message to either offend you or try to change your believes but only to let you know that before you publish something that other people will read have in mind that you should know few details of the subject at least know first what you are talking about. Thank you for taking the time to read this and forgive me if in any way I have offended you, I can’t say the same thing for what you wrote but none the less I am an American and I believe on the first amendment. Freedom of speech.

    ReplyDelete
  2. sorry there was some miss prints in the comment above, i guess i was just a little exited as being my first blog and everything, first miss print is, "In the other hand IS NOT the same for us." The other one was " She filled HER TAXES AND never GOT ANY TAX RETURNED WHITCH SHE DESERVED, so that means she over payed her taxes for 13 years." THANK YOU AGAIN FOR READING THIS

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Speaks! Just wanted to check in with you and say hello. I think it's crazy that someone stumbled accross your little blog :)

    Hope you are doing well and as always you are in my prayers. When do you come home? Any news on Beto?

    BTW: Jose and I finally set a date :) September 9th is the big day!

    Love Ya Much!
    Olivia

    ReplyDelete
  4. you don't really know her very well. read her blog again.

    Laura I get what you are saying.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I miss you blogging! where are you?

    ReplyDelete