Tuesday, August 07, 2012

Surgery Postponed

Today my sister and I (Beto had a previously scheduled appointment) were at the hospital at 6:30am and met with Bela's night nurse who was just finishing her shift. She said the surgery was scheduled still for 9am and Bela had already been moved to a "holding" room because another baby needed her previous room. Even though they stopped her feeds at midnight she slept well and did really well. We were led to a private family waiting room, after much confusion even though it was supposed to be reserved already.  We were told that a nurse would come in to have me sign the final paperwork and let us know if she would have three procedures at once or just one. So we waited until a little after 8 and I though I better find the nurse. The nurse said  that Bela's platelets and all her other blood levels were way too low to go in for a surgery and would have to be giving her blood products all day and that also there was no order anyways for her to have more than one procedure, but maybe she would have surgery tonight.

I wasn't happy and let the nurse know, although I know it wasn't her fault. So we went home since she was sleeping and we didn't want to wake her up since she'd be starving.

Some very good friends from church were "in the area" and called the house from the hospital where they were hoping to visit with us, but instead they came over and took us out to a wonderful lunch!  During that time the nurse called and said she was scheduled for surgery tomorrow at 11am and would have the three procedures in one. She said the problem in the morning was that yesterday the order was not given to draw and check her blood. When they waited until this morning it was too late since her levels were low.

After lunch Beto and I went to the hospital where they'd already moved her up to the hemotology/oncology pediatric floor, or "Hemonc", as they call it there. We saw Bela's Hemotologist and he told us he was very unhappy about her surgery being postponed. I could tell he was really frustrated with those who were supposed to draw her blood yesterday and didn't.

But we know God's in control. Tonight we had another wonderful visit with some other lifelong friends who brought dinner and prayed with us. We really can feel all of your prayers. Thank you so much. If we can ask you again to pray for her again tomorrow that the surgery go very well and she recovers perfectly, that the Lord guides the surgeon's hands and that the results of her biopsy and spinal tap are positive. Well, I mean, negative in the medical sense, positive in the emotional sense. Does that make sense?

We are so encouraged by all of your prayers and positive comments, here and in person.
The JOY of the LORD is our STRENGTH!!!

4 comments:

  1. Oh, I'm so sorry that happened! I know it must be so frustrating to have the surgery postponed, especially since sweet Bela didn't get to eat! But, as you say...God is in control. I was just thinking yesterday how blessed you all are to be in a place where there is such a great hospital and wonderful doctors and also you have family and friends to help with Santi, etc. Love you guys and praying for your family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Laura we continue to pray. I pray that you will have clarity in all things and have full understanding of what the doctors are telling you guys so that you can make the best decisions possible. (I can imagine that all of that gets confusing at times!) You guys are doing great and she is sSSSOOOOOO blessed to have a mamá and papá who will go to the ends of the earth for her! We're praying for little Santi too. What a loving big brother! You have our full support. Can we donate platelets for her? I mean, I know we're in Texas but I thought maybe somehow we could help! Let us know. We love you all!!! ~Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  3. I keep trying to leave comments on your blog but don't seem to be doing the tight thing as I haven't been able to do it. I am praying for Bela to get through all these procedures and get better. I am also praying for all of you as I know how hard this is for everyone. Love you all, Dortha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can see your comment Dortha. Thanks so much! We miss you and Jerry.

      Delete