Sunday, August 05, 2012

A Better Day

THANKS FOR YOUR PRAYERS!!! Bela is set for her surgery on Monday morning at 7:30am and will have three procedures at once so she'll only "go under" once, exactly what we were praying for! We are very encouraged!

My mom and I went to see Bela this morning. She looks really good. Mom got to hold her for a little bit but she didn't wake up.  I got to hold her a lot for a couple of hours.  She still has one IV placed in her foot and has the feeding tube, but her schedule does include a few feedings each day by bottle.  We really like the nurse she had today, she's had her twice before.  She calls her "Bela Bear" and only one of two nurses that actually give me hugs and treat us like family, although I have no complaints about any of the staff.  

In the first few hours I was there five doctors came in to check in on Bela and answer any questions. The infectious disease Dr. is really nice and gentle with Bela and said we'll probably be seeing her again in a few months. No offense, but I hope we don't!

The neonatologist came to answer a few questions. The GI Dr. said her liver and spleen actually look good considering the circumstances. The leukemia has enlarged them and are crowding the stomach but he said the stomach is like a purse, it is just to hold her milk, not to aide in digestion at this point. Because of the crowding however she was vomiting a lot which is why she has the feeding tube. He explained that the liver is a very resilient organ and is very good at rebuilding itself. I am hopeful then that she will recover well from the chemotherapy. She has already proved to do well with antibiotics.

Later I met the surgeon who will insert the central line on Monday. He, as well, explained things well and was very patient with all my questions and was very personable. The central line is a permanent IV that is inserted into her chest and looped up into a vein in her neck and then hangs down inside her close to her heart. There is minimal risk of infection since it stays in for a long period of time. During the time she is "asleep" other doctors will do another bone marrow biopsy and still different doctors will insert her first round of chemo into her spinal column.

Finally I met one of the cancer Dr.'s who's part of the research team. The nurse has worked with his team before and had only very high remarks about them. He has a great bedside manner and I am very grateful to God for providing such great doctors, to say the least.

Another piece of good news is that I don't have to stay away from soy, dairy, nuts, eggs, or wheat anymore! I can have "whatever I want, whenever I want", and I quote the doctor!  But I think I got a little too excited in the last 24 hours. Ugh, I need to detox again!

Santi is up at King's Kamp, our church's kids camp, this week with my mom as a junior camper. I know he's not even going to remember he has a mom or a dad this week he will have so much fun, and this will allow Beto and I a chance to adjust a bit to her being in the new oncology section.

Today's prayer requests are...

1. That Bela responds 100% positively to surgery on Monday and won't ever have any infection in the central line.
2. That her current IV stays in her foot until surgery Monday so they don't have to insert another one tomorrow.
3. That God will do a miracle and the bone marrow biopsy on Monday will show NO leukemia cells!
4. That she won't have any pain or side effects from the chemo.

I know these seem like such lofty prayer requests, but since God created the world and our bodies in less than week just by speaking, I am sure He can complete these requests.
Praise Him for His faithfulness.

5 comments:

  1. Laura and Beto, I continue to pray for sweet baby Bela, as well as you guys, Santi and the whole family as you go through this hard time in your life. I'm so glad you are using this blog to communicate because I do want to keep up with Bela's progress. Love you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have put Bela on my prayer list. (YOU ARE INVITED TO FOLLOW MY BLOG)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beto & Laura, We are praying for God’s strength, comfort, healing and mercy for sweet Bela as well as for her mom and dad (and brother too). There was another reminder to me this week as I was studying and preparing for our Sunday morning Bible class, that in God thee are no coincidences. The topic of our class is “The Names of God”. It has been an encouraging class to be reminded of the names God has shared with us in scripture that reveal his nature. We have been reminded that God is “Elohim” (Powerful God), “Adonai” (Lord), “El Elyon” (God Most High), “El Shaddai” (Almighty God), “Yahweh” (Israel’s Covenantal God). Then as I opened the book Geron and I are using for reference in preparing for class (The Names of God; by Ken Hemphill) the next chapter caused me to stop and thank God for the reminders of his character. This week we are discussing “Jehovah Rophe” (The Lord Heals)! Always remember that we serve the one and only God, and along with the many awesome aspects of who he is, he is the Lord who heals. May God bless you and give you extra comfort today. Your brother and friend, Bruce.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bebelto y Laura. Estamos en oración CONSTANTEMENTE por ustedes y Belita. Lo hemos estado compartiendo con todos nuestros amigos para que oren también. Oramos anoche en la casa con la familia de Manuel Calderon. Vamos a orar sin cesar. Estamos aquí por ustedes pero mas que todo la presencia de Dios nunca les deja. Sus ángeles están acampando alrededor de su familia. Jesus esta al lado de Bela constantemente agarrándola de la mano. El Espiritu Santo es tan poderoso y mora en ustedes. Sienta su poder y presencia. Los amamos en Cristo siempre. Nancy, Manuel, Lito, y Arianna

    ReplyDelete