Thursday, August 09, 2012

A Very Blessed Day

Beto spent the night at the hospital last night. He and Bela didn't get much sleep because she was very uncomfortable from her surgery and the start of chemo. My aunt came again at about 8am and got Beto breakfast. I arrived later and stayed all day with my sister Glenda.  She seemed to be a little more comfortable and slept well today, especially after we turned on the ipod with Rita Springer.

When my aunt and Glenda went down to get me some food they ran into our friends Gene and Sheila Spivey who were there to donate blood for Bela. They came up for awhile and visited which was a real blessing.

Her breathing is not good because her spleen is so big it is pushing up on her lungs. Her belly is very swollen and hard. The doctor said her spleen should shrink by this weekend because of the chemo so that's what we're praying for. Her breaths are very short and she whimpers constantly so we are praying that she can breathe normally and comfortably.

Today we were given a large gift from the Evelyn Grace Foundation. Evelyn Grace was a baby born with a different type of leukemia who died when she was five months old. Her parents set up the foundation. We received a $50 gas card and some really nice items like a super soft throw blanket, a robe for Bela, a handmade card with embedded seeds that when planted will produce flowers, and some hats for Bela. These are given to all new patients. So many of you have asked how you can help. If you'd like to check out this foundation and possibly make a donation, that would be great.  Here is the info:

Evenly Grace Foundation
P.O Box 463
Seal Beach,CA 90740
Phone: 562.296.5347

Email: contact@evelyngracefoundation.org


Website: www.evelyngracefoundation.org


We also got a visit from a dietician, the hemotologist, a volunteer grandma who gave Bela a knitted cap, and the hospital chaplain who prayed with Glenda and I.  The volunteer grandma was very encouraging. She started making hats when a boy at her church got cancer at age 5. He's now a teen. She said about 98% of the children she's seen with cancer at Miller's go into remission and that we are at the best place.

The tote from Evelyn Grace Foundation

Bela loves looking up all the time.





The volunteer Grandma, Denise, sang "Jesus Loves Me" to Bela. 

My aunt Glenda came this afternoon and is still there with Bela until I return to spend the night tonight.  We also got to put her first real outfit on her today!! She looked like a real girl! yea!

Besides her breathing, please pray that...

1. the doctors decide to put in a PICC line, another permanent IV. They think she may be too small but it would really help her and the nurses if they could place one on her.

2. That she responds well to treatment so that her spleen will go down.

3. Continued protection for her heart and brain

4. That she'll gain real weight and not just water weight. They are going to change her eating schedule so she's getting more milk and nutrition and less IV fluids.

Thanks so so very much for all of your prayers, encouragement and support! It is so touching and I wish we could visit with each of you face to face to thank you. We are so grateful. 

5 comments:

  1. Hi Laura, this is Kathi Roque. I saw you mentioned blood being donated for Bela. I would be honored ifnIncould help your precious girl in any way. I am O+. Please let me know if this would be something I could do. You are so faithful and I am inspired by you. You are in my constant prayers......God bless you and your beautiful family.

    Kathi

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Kathi. So many have asked about donating blood. Bela and I are O+ as well! My sister Glenda has told me so many nice things about you and we appreciate your prayers! You can donate blood at the hospital but I will get more info and put it on the blog because I know others are wondering too. Thanks again and God bless you for all the prayers you've prayed for Bela!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That would be great....I'll be looking for that information. You are all in our continued prayers and I hope you find comfort knowing how many are loving all of you through prayer. Have a blessed day....

      Kathi

      Delete
  3. We'll be praying for all these things, especially for her spleen and protection for her heart and brain. And total healing! She looks so cute in her outfit! Arianna has one very similar. Two little precious and mixtas hermosas! ;)
    "But those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Laura & Beto,

    I am the Youth Leader at one of the Youth Groups that Lindsay Groh attends in the Boston area. We absolutely LOVE Lindsay and ALL of her family, so, we are sure that if we could meet y'all, we would love you all too! We prayed for y'all during your pregnancy when Amy asked for prayers and started praying for baby Bela and all of you as soon as Amy asked for prayers.

    I know that we don't know you, but that doesn't diminish the fact that we are one in the Family of God! So, sister in Christ, we are praying for you! We are praying for Bela's healing, protection for her heart and brain, more restful breathing, peace & strength for you, Beto & Santi and for the ministry of those who are close to you and can provide you with the physical support that you need. I know that God will provide you with people who will take Santi on adventures, provide you with rest so that you can be with Bela, stay with Bela so that you can take Santi on a walk and spend time with him, etc.... I pray that God will also give them strength and courage to be all that you need them to be!

    I have a 12-year old son, Gabriel, and an 8-year old daughter, Elisha. They are also "mixtos". My husband is Puerto Rican. Elisha & Gabriel immediately started reading your posts over my shoulder and wanted to follow Bela's story and road to recovery (because we know that is what it is going to be! Praise the Lord!). Elisha already loves Bela!

    I know that we are far away, but I have some ideas of some things that I would like to do to help. I'll communicate them with Amy and have her help me make them happen.

    For now, God bless and may He give you a peace that passes all understanding!
    Love in Christ,
    Karen Rivera

    ReplyDelete