Wednesday, April 12, 2006

Semana de descansa...Week of R and R









During this week off, Beto and I took a day trip, well, really just about a “1.5-hour trip” to the local huge famous Catholic Cathedral. I can see it from my bedroom window and is actually closer than it seems. It only took about 15 minutes to get there by taxi, but we spent about an hour there and then took a taxi back downtown to visit some church members. It’s huge and beautiful. The pictures don’t do it justice. Some pictures are views of the city from outside the cathedral, the front view of the older cathedral (there are two churches right next to each other). Others are views inside the bigger, newer one.

Yesterday we walked a lot! We went downtown, my least favorite place. It’s hot, crowded, dirty, loud, and known for bag thefts. We bought some material for Beto to paint on. He went to art school and loves to paint. He’s going to paint some pictures for our living room and do some work for the church. WE bought some other supplies for him to make his own canvas frames, ate lunch at Mickey Dee’s, went to visit the Basilica, then visited some members of the church for about an hour. It was a good, yet very tiring, day.

Two days ago Beto came over. Amber and I had some youth group kids from her church over that had spent the night. I went out to water our “banana tree” (that doesn’t have any bananas…yet) and 2 hours later Beto and the boys had cut all the weeds, prepared the soil, and moved the cement mixer that we’re “babysitting” off the dirt and out of the way. Today we’re going to load up on flowers to plant and make a beautiful little garden. I’m so excited! I’ll be sure to send pictures when it’s all done. I should have taken “before” pictures because even without the flowers right now it looks 100 % better than it did before. I got the idea the other night as I looked out the window while doing dishes. The view isn’t great. It’s of our huge black metal gate and amber’s truck, and this patch of dirt and weeds we have. I thought, if we have some flowers there it would make a huge difference.

This will probably be my last blog for at least 4 days because everything’s going to shut down tomorrow for Holy week, until next Monday. Happy Easter everybody!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment