Thursday, September 27, 2012

Amazing day!

First of all, THANKS to our good friend Layla for spending the night! What a gal!
Today was quite a day! In the morning Hyundai came to present a check to the Jonathan Jaques Children's Cancer Center.  Santi got to go in Bela's place.  The kids placed handprints on canvas and on an honorary labcoat presented to one of the oncologists. There were news crews there with all their camaras. Pretty fun.  

 As far as Bela's progress, we are beyond pleased.  Her platelets are climbing little by little.  Right now they are at about 65,000 and need to be above 75,000 for her second round of chemo to start.  The prediction is Monday she will begin round 2. 
Some more good news is that she tested negative for "residual disease" which rates what chance she will have of a relapse in the future.  This is very good because, obviously, she is at very low risk for cancer ever coming back, but also because they won't have to increase the intensity of her chemo.  She will even receive two days LESS of one of the drugs this next time. so Praise God!!!

Bela with Auntie Layla
 She is taking a lot of milk and breastfeeding very well.  The occupational therapist will be signing off later this week, sadly because she's awesome, but that means Bela is doing well on her own.  When she is not on continuous feeds through her feeding tube we can walk around freely in her room, which feels weird but wonderful! We even got an OK to take her out on walks around the hospital!!! OH MY GOSH! It was the best day ever today!     
 Let me add something about how awesome the nurses are. They say they literally fight over her and who can feed her when we can't be there. The other day one of the nurses felt so bad about taking my dinner tray away before I got there, she bought me dinner in the cafeteria. I though she was just going to get me an extra tray, but she paid with her own money! Who does that? Also, today when we walked in there was a new outfit for her on her bed that another nurse bought for her.
 Her nurse today and I talked a long time and one thing that stood out to me is that she said there's something about Bela's "ora".  "She just has this strong sense of peace about her that attracts people to her!" , she said.  That's the Holy Spirit, I know. I told her she literally has 1,000's of people praying for her.  I look forward to moments like that where God opens the door to talk about Him and how He's working.                                                                      

Santi (R) Putting his handprint on the canvas

One of the oncolgists with the handprints on her honorary labcoat.

Goodie bag!


Bela next to my baby picture. Scary!!!

Hmmm Stacey, how soon can you get me outta here?

Precious time with Bailey!

Physical therapy

The nurse pimping out her wagon for her first walk.  She was like in a queen's carriage!

Putting her in.

He's the best big brother

We're only outside her room but we're so excited!!!!

She was so relaxed with her hand on her knee. Obviously not one to wear her emotions on her sleeve.

Getting closer to the exit!

I think this is our very first all family foto!

Elevator! Can you smell the outside yet?

EXITING THE BUILDING. I HAVE BUTTERFLIES!

WE MADE IT! 

Dancing, running, jumping for joy!

Doing his victory dance in honor of Bela

I'm eating outside. I'm awesome. GOD is awesome!





Never noticed how beautiful all the palm trees are there!

Finally on the way back up to her room she realizes what just happened. 

Making sure she's ok after her walk.

Daddy didn't recover so well. Santi says "Heart is good, daddy."

10 comments:

  1. oh my goodness Laura!!! This is the best blog post ever!!! Filled with so much good stuff. I am full of emotion and tears. God is so good! I am overjoyed for you, Beto, Santi and Bela on the excursion you had today. Thank you for all the pictures, they are great, it felt like I was there taking each step to the door outside!! What an incredible day today!! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Praise God! I'm crying happy tears for you!
    -Diana Tidwell (Christi Luben's sister)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've loved reading your blog and keeping up with Bela as I've traveled this summer, and I smiled SO much reading this post and seeing these pictures! So honored to know such a wonderful family who loves the Lord and speaks His name so much, even during trying times. Love you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! What amazing news - I'm sitting here bawling as I read this and look at your pictures. God is AWESOME! God is touching so many people who are ministering to Bela it's amazing. His power is working in the lives of so many through your family and sweet Bela! Thank you for sharing your journey with us! Praying for more amazing days for all of you! <3 <3 <3 Brenda G

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am just going to ditto all of the above, I'm still crying and smiling at the same time.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am just going to ditto all the above. So sorry I missed all that. Still crying and smiling at the same time.mom

    ReplyDelete
  7. Feel so touched to share your beautiful moments and am deeply moved to tears of joy! It is awesome and appropriate that beautiful Bela got to experience the sunshine for herself today--the sunshine that she brings to all of you with her innate, loving spirit! God is working through all of you and just as you were able to savor and soak up the sunshine, Bela is soaking up your loving hearts, touch and vibrations to heal. Sending continued prayers for Bela's successful transition to complete health and many more happy excursions! PS--looks like Santi might just have a medical career in his future!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This whole post has just made me giddy! Thanks for sharing all of this information, pictures...your life...with us! Love you all so much!

    ReplyDelete
  9. How wonderful! We are so excited for her progress! We will keep the prayers coming on the east coast! Tonda Kuhn

    ReplyDelete
  10. Smiling large and shouting His praise! Fresh air, dancing and eating outside, FAMILY PHOTO OF 4! Thank You Jesus!

    ReplyDelete