Monday, July 09, 2007

In the old world ruins

Today we are in the mayan Copan ruins in Northwestern Honduras, very close to the Guatemalan border. This town reminds me a lot of Antigua, Guatemala. Very touristy but absolutely beautiful! They have little red taxis like golf carts. the streets are cobble stone, narrow, and steep. Our hotel is old world hispanic style, just gorgeous. The people are very hospitable, like most hondurans, but this place has a different feel from the rest of the country, like going back even more in time than my town. I would put my town in the old west period, and this place at the time of the indigenous.

The girls, my mom and aunt, are doing very well despite all the traveling by bus i am putting them through. They are being real good sports. This morning we left the hotel around 8 to catch the 8.30 bus but it was already full, so we waited an hour for the next one. We took it 3 hours north to a big city and from the station took a taxi to another bus station. That bus we took another 3 hours to Copan. The second bus was much more luxurious. On a scale of 1 to 10 I would give it a 12, but others were not so generous.

Our hotel in La Esperanza and here in Copan were very luxurious to me but all I remember being said is that they wont ever complain again about staying in MOtel 6, whatever that means.

We will stay here a few days exploring the mayan ruins. I am so excited because i have never been here but have always heard about it. It has been a great way to see so much of Honduras to travel by bus, also, especially since they only run during the days.

Sunday, yesterday, we relaxed. In the morning we went to church and in the after noon we ate out. For dinner, Beto made pizza and I made salad and dessert. We invited over my neighbor Mr. Ken and our pastor. It was a lot of fun. We did a lot of walking in my town but I am giving the delux tour o f everything. That is why they pay me the big bucks.

Beto preached yesterday about the forgiveness of God. It was really good and mom and a. glenda enjoyed it even though it was in spanish.

I am so blessed to live in this country. I just love it and am so happy to be able to share it with mom and aunt glenda. God has been really gracious giving us near perfect traveling times and experiences, keeping us safe and healthy. Thanks for your prayers. God bless you.

3 comments:

  1. Good to hear your Mom and family are able to spend some time with you. Enjoy all those bus rides.

    ReplyDelete
  2. good to hear that you are all having such neat adventures hhad a good long talk with mary seth and the friend he is brigning arrive on sat taske care and see everything dad

    ReplyDelete