Tuesday, June 20, 2006

Futbol and Translating

Well, I know what G. E. is talking about with frustrations with blogger. I can't put pictures on it but i think it's more of a problem with my computer than with blogger.
The last few days have been good. Last Thursday was my official last day at my job at the school. yes! Amber and I have 5 people now staying with us, some for another week, some till August. They are here as med students getting experienced, spanish majors getting lots of practice, and all are here to serve God. It's been fun and very busy. Ambers "youth group" was here a lot last week hanging out with us all and they went to a local field to play futbol. If any of you are soccer fans you know that the world cup is happening right now in Germany, and of course here it's HUGE!...GINORMOUS! The boys had a ton of fun playing against "the gringos". Unfortunately, the gringos won.

Today I had my first day without an official job. I went with Amber and some people in our house and we accompanied a group that's here from Florida (represent!) for aweek on a short term mission trip. They brought a doctor and we set up a clinic in a little village close to the city and I translated for a few hours. I really enjoyed it! This si the type of thing I hope to be doing all summer and maybe beyond. The groups are a lot of fun and a change of pace, very nice to be with. We saw all sorts of people today, from 5 month ols to 70 or 80 year olds. Most people had simple symptoms such as a cold, others had serious problems they've had for years, like something like terrets, something that sounds like heart disease and maybe a slight heart attack, and a man who really stuck out in my mind, he has major pain in his right leg, from his lower back down to his foot. He has been a bus driver for 15 years and his shift is usually from 5am till 8pm, and he gets a little break every 2 hours to stretch. It was sad that we couldn't help them how they really needed. we could only give the bus driver man aspirin, for instance. We were able to give a lot of vitamins to people which will help a lot.
Please pray for this village, called Mona Loa, and for this group that we'll be with this week.
blessings! and hopefully I'll be able to put more pictures up later.

No comments:

Post a Comment