Tuesday, January 10, 2006

This is not my beautiful house! What have I done?!

So the new year has begun and school has started again. The first two days weren't bad, especially the first since not many kids showed up. it was actually quite relaxing and peaceful. But that won't last long, i'm afraid. I've learned I can't make my self feel that way no matter how hard i try, but that's just the thing, trying hard at it isn't the thing that needs to be done. But putting it in God's hands and realizing that He's in control, His timing is perfect,and He never makes a mistake.
Take my living situation for example. I'd been wanting to move out for quite sometime, but with all my searching didn't find a place that I felt was quite right for me, either because it was too small, too big, too expensive, or too far from school. But as I walked to school this morning, I thought again...and I always need lots of reminders, at how God's timing is always perfect, even when I feel like life is chaos. Here I have this new really nice 3-bed, 2bath house, not coutning the "servants quarters" outside, that is 5 minutes walking distance from school, in a quiet, safe neighborhood with "vigilancia", and since I'm sharing it with a great friend, it's a nice price. I'm so happy. We're so excited. Whenever we get home or sit on the couches I bought...Ijust have to add that because it makes me feel so independant, we get all giddy and say, "Hey, we have couches!" or i say "Hey, amber, we have a house!" and we laugh as if we're at a 4th grade slumber party.
But this morning as I walked to school, I thought, "It's not our house. We're renting. But then again, it is ours because of just that, because we're renting. We are the one's paying to stay there." Like, hey, this is my hotel room, not anyone else's, because I'm paying for it and it's in my name."
And at night, when I'm laying in bed looking up at the stars through my window, I just thank God for helping me to wait to rent a place, for placing a great friend with whom to share this house, and that everything has worked out really well, well, for us. I know that sounds selfish, but it says a lot more about God. that He really has even our little, material interests in mind, for our best. DUH!
So moving in was a lot of fun. We got furniture pretty quickly and I bought a beautiful, lovely, navy blue sofa/2 chair set at the cheapest place in town, supposedly. The cheapest at that store.
and we have cable. Now let me tell you. I'm not much of a TV watcher, or at least I thought I wasnt. But with over 100 channels, including ABC, CBS, Cinemax, HBO, and NBC, I just may have to become one! The most exciting channels are the States ones, ABC, NBC and CBS. Last night we enjoyed watching Vanna on The Wheel while we ate homemade lasagna...another story, and thoroughly enjoyed it. Even during the commercials we flipped to a channel that had "Everybody loves Raymond", and while we love that show, we opted for The Wheel. I know, go ahead and say it..."You're a nerd!" Or in spanish, nerd is nerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrd. Roll that "R"!!
So about that lasagna, I made it for the first time in my life and it wasnt half bad. Neither of us had seconds, but we did eat our rather large first portions.
To conclude, I will say that I'm very excited to have a Christmas party this Friday at "our house" with some boys from the church that Amber works with. She's going to cook a turkey and we'll have a tree. I'm excited because they don't celebrate in Guatemala at all like inthe States.
MOre to come with pictures.

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like a nice place. If you were a guy ESPN would be a must among the stations you listed.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so happy for you that you have a wonderful place of your own AND cable! I know how much you wanted this!!

    ReplyDelete