Saturday, January 28, 2006

La Tigra










We’re still having a great time in our new house, though we still don’t have a house fone. In Honduras you’re lucky if you get one in two weeks after applying, or asking, for one. Our connector cables were oh so graciously flung over the balcony of the apt. next door by our neighbor. So as soon as we can get those hooked to something that works, we’ll be considered civilized again. Our landlords actually live in Virginia, we learned, but the mediator between us, she’s nice. Her brother was supposed to come last week but I guess he forgot. Maybe trying to get his fone hooked up too.
My class is eagerly learning Psalm 118:24, their verse of this month, “This is the day the Lord has made. Let us rejoice and be glad in it.” They seem to enjoy it, which for some students is a surprise. Thursday, January 26, the whole school went on a field trip to the national park, La Tigra, about a 90 minute drive from the city. As we sat in the minivan like clowns in a Volkswagen beetle, I thought, “Are we almost to Guatemala?!” I had heard it was far, but by the time we arrived, the city was no where in sight. I didn’t expect that. It was incredibly beautiful and the air was so crisp and clear. Like being in the mountains. Well, we were in mountains. The drive up in some parts reminded me of the drive to King’s Kamp. The kids were amazingly well-behaved for having to hike in a high-altitude cloud forest, wet and very cold. Not a complaining voice was heard over the course of the nearly 3 hour “walk.” My legs were weak and shaky by the end from having walked downhill so much the last half, and my ears were sore from hearing another teacher shouting, “Be careful! Don’t run! Don’t shout, you’ll scare the animals! Don’t…” whatever she could think of. I had a good conversation with her in Spanish to keep her from focusing so much on the kids for awhile.
We had this trip and then the next day, Friday, January 27, we didn’t have school because we finished the second quarter. We had conferences with parents and report cards two days before. Those went surprisingly smoothly. Of course, as usual, the parents that I really needed to talk to, those of the students I have the most problems with, didn’t show up. I decided to do a new thing also with my kids the same day as the field trip, just before we left. Each one got an award for a certain subject that they did really well in, and for a certain skill: organization, responsibility, perseverance, class work skills, most improved, and best effort. Thanks for your prayers. Things are going better there and I think I have less stress because I live in a better area closer to school.
Friday, my day off, I slept in after waking up at 7:30, 8:30, and then 9:30. My body, even though exhausted from hiking for about 3 miles, is so used to getting up early. Amber and I did some errands and took advantage of the “Executive” weekday lunch special at Tony Roma’s. Now, I’m not a huge fan of that place. Haven’t been there in years, and that was only once, but this was great. A drink, nonalcoholic, of course, an appetizer, a plate of lots of food, a premeal soup or salad, and dessert for only 317 lempira, or about $16 total. Wow!
When we came home I made a cake and we had a little birthday party for a little girl from church, just her mom and sister. They are our good friends and Amber’s known them for a long time.
Thanks for your time! !Que le vaya bien!

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful pictures Laura! I don't think I could have made it on that hike but wow very pretty place!!

    ReplyDelete