Saturday, January 28, 2006

Laura's Book Club











Laura’s Book Club

I’ve done more reading here in the last month…three books! Well, now I’m on my fourth but the month is almost over. Any who, this is nearly a miracle considering how much we had to read in 12th grade English class, I thought I’d never read so many books so close together again! But alas, I have read 3.5 beautiful, quality books lately and thought I’d share them with you, and if you have any inclination to join me now, or catch up, welcome to my book club! Yea, cheesy, but I’m prideful enough to think I can choose better books than Oprah. Can I get a “What what?!” Not really, in fact, I am a little sheepish to admit, but I know what her current book club book is…”Night”, by, oh well, I can’t really remember the author’s name, so you can’t be that impressed, and I guess I can’t be that embarrassed, but I’d like to read that book sometime soon, about a holocaust survivor and his experience in Auschwitz. There are numerous books out there about that subject, but I don’t think I could ever get “bored” reading about it, and pray I never become numb to the stories of those who experienced it. Which reminds of Corrie Ten Boom. If you’ve not read her book “The Hiding Place”, I suggest picking one up very soon, most likely at your nearest Christian book store, although it’s pretty popular outside that circle, I believe.
Any who, all I wanted to say is that I’ve really enjoyed these books and hope some of you will read along with me so that we can have some intellectual dialogue. I miss that! Not that I don’t have that with my friends here, we do. But I just thought it’d be fun to have that over the blog waves.
So without further ado, a little commentary on each one. “The Good Earth” by Pearl S. Buck, is historical fiction in my opinion, chronicling the life of a Chinaman in Pre-Revolutionary China. Many details are inspiringly accurate because Buck grew up and lived more than half her life in China during the time in which she writes.
“Hinds Feet on Hinds’ Places” by Hannah Hurnard, is an allegory of our Christian walk. Deep yet super corny as well, but worth a try.
“The Poisonwood Bible”, by Barbara Kingsolver, is my most recently finished book and superb! It’s about 11 years old now and I’m sure many of you have already read it, but it’s a book I could read twice, and I’ve never done that. Movies are much easier repeated in my opinion than books. This fiction novel details the lives of a family of four young girls from the States and their move to the Congo in the fourties. I was just dissed (notified, rather) by my spell check, that there isn’t a “u” in “fourties”, but isn’t that stupid? So I’m leaving it there. And I clicked “Add to dictionary” for the words “fourties” and “dissed”. I feel so free! Anyways, their father is a “fire and brimstone” type of preacher who so pushes his religion on the natives that he neglects his own family. Very engaging, entertaining, and most of all, thought provoking.
Right now, I’m reading “Blue Like Jazz” by Donald Miller. No doubt some of you have heard of this, it being a “Christian” book and all. It could be compared to Anne Lamott’s “Traveling Mercies”, also an excellent read. It’s a memoir, which I love because it’s so personal and I feel like I’m reading a letter from a friend. I laugh out loud when I’m alone at some parts, it’s that funny. But it’s also so honest and relevant that I hum “hmm…wow” out loud at some parts too. Read along with me. I’m only on the third chapter.
Finally, I’m also reading now “The Alchemist”, by Paulo Coelho. It’s my morning “devotional” read, if you will; a fictional inspirational story about a young shepherd boy and his journey from Spain to the Egyptian pyramids in search of a treasure buried there. Along the way he meets different people willing to help point him in the right direction. It’s also like an allegory to the journey in life to follow and fulfill our dreams. A short yet deeply profound book. Join me; I’m only on page 33. Its theme reminds of me of that of “Wild at Heart”, by John Eldridge. Actually, I remember now that that’s the only book I’ve only read all the way through twice. Definitely a favorite.
So without further ado, get to reading, and I’ll end sharing with you that I can hear the voice in my head that says, “You’re such a dork!” I think you’re just jealous cuz you didn’t think of it first! You know who you are. y te quiero tambien.

5 comments:

  1. I remember reading 'The Poisonwood Bible' I thought it was disturbing, but I finished it and still think about those girls from time to time. I was planning on buying the new James Patterson book for my trip. But also just bought a new one by hmmm oh, yeah, Max Lucado,. SEE YOU IN 3 WEEKS.....YAAHHOOOO

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW I guess I should get started reading huh? I haven't been to the library in ages but think I will go this week and pick one of yours from your book club! thanks for sharing them

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know that I¨m that voice in your head and I also know that you wouldn´t be able to survive without me. I would like some royalties for the pictures you stole of my books. I expect that in cash by the end of the day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I also checked out Amber's blog yesterday, and she has some wonderful pictures of the apartment. Thanks Amber!

    ReplyDelete
  5. that was from me, laura, your mom

    ReplyDelete