Tuesday, August 07, 2007

Get me outta here!

Well, "culture shock" is beginning to happen. I nearly had a nervous break down the other day in Wal Mart.
First of all, just being in Wal Mart is difficult enough. I confess, I'm more of a Target girl.
Anywho, now that I've stepped on some toes, I'll try to gracefully finish my story.
I was just trying to pick out some toothpaste. OH MY GOODNESS! How many choices does a person really need?! In my town I always buy the same thing: the only paste that is approved by the "American Dental Association" out of the other 5 pastes. I don't even browse; I go to the one 3' x 5' shelf in the corner, find my box, and that's it. There's no new choices, ever. There arent' any that whiten, or have baking soda, or floride, or all kinds of protection against any possible disease that could possibly, someday, take up residence in your mouth.

I eventually caught up to my mom, exhausted, having not picked out anything. I couldn't do it. I didn't have enough hours to contemplate and read the 100's of different boxes in able to make an informed purchase. By that time, the high shelves, heat, music, crowds, and merchandise was beginning to make me a little light headed. I was happy to get back out to the great outdoors of Lakewood, CA!

So while I love Long Beach and visiting, I'm looking forward to getting back to my one grocery store with its 5 boxes of toothpaste. Although there I can't find the same people I love seeing here.

That experience just makes spending time with my family and friends that much more enjoyable. I have been so blessed with, given, wonderful people by God. I couldn't have chosen better if I'd had to choose my loved ones among 100's of people. All are unique, special, and talented in their own ways, and are encouraging and blessings to me in different ways, but all together complete the mosaic of loved ones in my life.

I wouldn't trade my hometown and not one family member or friend for anything. I am so thankful to God for the wonderful family he's given to me.

Psalm 37:23
"The Lord directs the steps of the godly. He delights in every detail of their lives."

2 comments:

  1. I've been to the Wal-Mart in Lakewood with Greg who I believe is a fan of Wal-Mart. At least I got that indication when he asked me to kneel and pray as we faced east towards Arkansas, the home of Wal-Mart.

    Glad you were able to visit the "fam." Have a safe journey back to Honduras.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I first came back from two years in Argentina, I went to a big supermarket and just walked the aisles. Didn't buy a thing. Just looked.

    Carolina and I used to laugh at ourselves on furlough. We figured that we were quite the sight in the grocery stores: "Look! Now they've got..."

    And I remember the furlough when I went to the store at the Miami airport, then walked back to where Carolina was waiting with the kids, and I said, "Honey... we're in junk food paradise."

    Be praying for our budget for next year; we wanted to do TV in Honduras, but it's looking a little shaky right now. Either that or round up some new donors for us while you're in SoCal.

    Be safe and blessed.

    ReplyDelete