Saturday, August 05, 2006

Saturday

Today I went with the group from Jonesboro to Unidad y Fuerza, Unity and Strength, a community that we've been to before (cuffed convict in the back of Amber's truck ring any bells?) I translated for their medical clinic and it went very smooth, they're very organized. I first translated for them yesterday in another community called Mateo which a lot of groups go to. They, the doctors, of which there are 2, set up a sign-in area which was manned by a Honduran, so that was a little easier. Then the patients go to "triage" (sp?) to tell why they want to see the doctor. Then they go to another area to get their blood pressure and temp. taken. Finally they get to see the doctor behind hung-up sheets for privacy, and then they go to another area, the "Pharmacy" to get any medicines/vitamins they need. Oh, they even set up a side area for kids to play, color, blow bubbles, make necklaces, etc. It was great! yesterday we had a lot more space because we were in a bigger building. Today went well though. We had the kids' play area outside in the classrooms. I love translating! I love to sit there with the kids on my lap while the doctor listens to their hearts or "looks for butterflies in their ears"( I stole that from a previous doctor). It is easy for me but I feel like I am really doing a lot that is worthwhile and helpful. We saw over 150 patients yesterday and again today. Mostly they complain of headache and stomachache,and everyone gets vitamins. This crew also handed out dental care supplies.
Tonight the group treated Amber and I to a really nice dinner at one of the best restaurants in Tegucigalpa (Greg's favorite word to say), especially known for their steak.
Thanks to you readers who are praying for me and supporting me in other ways. I wouldn't want to be anywhere else but serving here in Tegucigalpa, and you all make it possible!
Muchas bendiciones a todos!

2 comments:

  1. hey, laura! hope all is well. jeanne and i were just talking about you here in guate. beto looks well and happy. (we saw him at church on sunday). can't wait to see you and actually have time to have girly-talk time - in English!!! hasta pronto!

    ReplyDelete