Friday, August 25, 2006

First Week Down

Hey everyone
Well, I finished the first week of school, though it wasn´t a full week. It went really well except the schedule is still being worked out and that caused some frustration yesterday, but I love the kids and the staff is really great too. It´s a big school, about 200 students, which takes 5 big busses up the hill and down every day. We get on the bus around 7 and the kids go home at 3, but the teachers stay until four and then take our own bus into town, which gives us more time to plan, etc.
This week I didn´t do too much actual teaching with formal lessons, that starts next week. But my kids are a lot of fun, for the most part. These kids are very well behaved, respectful, and really listen when I´m talking! Like nothing I´ve ever experienced!
I teach English to second grade every morning from 8 until 9.45. From 9.45 to 10.15 is recess, the longest recess I´ve ever had in my teaching experience. From 10.15 until 12 I teach english to one first grade class. Lunch is from 12 to 12.40, also the longest lunch i´ve ever had. The hot lunch is brought in everyday by one lady who makes it all, and it´s always good and a good variety. From 12.40 until about 3 I teach English to the other first grade class, and i´m with my second graders the last 5 minutes to help them clean up and walk to the bus.
It was a great first week and I´m excited to enjoy going to work everyday!

3 comments:

  1. I am so excited for you Laura. Are you going to need warmer clothes? If I need to send anything let me know. If someone were to visit. To what city would they fly? LOVE YOU!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Laura I am so happy for you! The Lord does things in his own time and this time it was at the last minute!! You seem to be really enjoying your new surroundings. I was talking with the Cron's tonight and they said the same thing. You seem to be somewhere now where you can interact and really minister to the children. So happy for you!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i will need warmer clothes but i am ok for now. i´m going to teguc. pretty soon to pick up stuff i left at the house, and when i come to visit in december i´ll get some warmer stuff. i can buy stuff here too.
    they would fly into Tegucigalpa. who are you speaking of???

    ReplyDelete