Tuesday, March 14, 2006

3'day weekend

Happy Tuesday to all!
I had a day off yesterday, courtesy of our director, because Saturday we were at a school Bike a thon all day. That was a lot of fun. we held it at one of the student´s house who lives in Valle de Angeles, a mountainous area about 45 minutes out of the city. He drives a long way every day to go to school. Their property is beautiful, with so many trees, a picnic area, a basketball court, a gym, and a jacuzzi. Their actual house didnt seem all that big from the outside but they have a lot of open land. Only a handful of students brought their bikes. The rest of us went on a short walk around, then played family competetion games and had a wonderful catered lunch of tacos and ¨gringa¨s...yes, it´s actually the name of a food. They are like quessadillas, sort of. Sorry I don´t have any fotos. I took my camera...without batteriws! aaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhh!
So yesterday, since Beto and I both had a day off, we decided to try to go get his VISA to come with me to the States in May to visit. The adventure went something like this...

we met at 9am at the mall nearest my house. I walked, he took the bus. From there, we walked for about 20 minutes until we found out that the Guatemalan embassy was up a hill, so we took a taxi, and boy am i glad we did! there, they said we needed to go to the U.S. embassy. Seems obvious now, but we´d never done this before and asked advice from others who´d never done it either.
we arrive at the U.S. embassy in a taxi. By this time it´s about 10 o clock and there´s a long line outside. The rest of the day went a little something like this...

(to a man in line outside) ¨what´s this line for?¨ (something we don´t need)
(to the guard at the door) ¨we´re here to get his (point to Beto) VISA...blah blah blah, yaddy yaddy yaddy, explain the sitch...I showed my passport, and VOILA! we´re in! The guard told us to go to a certain window.
(at that window) ¨Yes, we´re here to ...¨
(she says) oh, you need to go into that room there
(in that room, there are about 100 people sitting in chairs, waiting for who knows what, and there areen´t any signs that help us, nor a sign displaying numbers, or any numbers to take.
(in another room for North Americanas) öoh, look, Beto. I see white people!¨
(that lady there says) oh, you need to into that other room (where we just were) and read the wall with the information
After reading the wall, we decided to wait until 11 to talk to someone at window 4, like the info says.
(at 11am, window 4) ÿes, I´m here to...¨ She says, ¨Go to window 1¨
(at window 1) ÿes, we´re here to ...¨ He says, ¨Go to window 6¨
Now, in front of window 6, which is closed, there´s a long line of people that hadn´t been there ALL MORNING! So we get in to wait. After about 5 minutes, a guard approaches us...
¨what are you doing in this line? where are your papers?¨
¨Yes, we´re here to...¨and I show him the info paper I had
ÿou just need to call this number between 3 and 5. No one can help you with that today here. Theý´re too busy with all these other people. I´ll go get you the extension of the number.¨
He returns in 10 minutes. Basically, we could´ve called the embassy and gotten the info number and skipped the trip to the embassy entirely.
Now usually in a situation like this, I get very frustrated and try to stir things up to get my way, make things happen, because we need a VISA! but I even surprised myself. we did pray a lot before our visit. I am a bit disappointed, however, in our country´s way of doing things. with my passport, i can just show up at the airport and i recieve my VISA when i arrive in Honduras. why can´t it be that way for people going to the States? The paper even says that after paying for the VISA and plane ticket, that in your final destination in the States, if the officers there don´t want to recieve you, they can reject your VISA! WOW!
After that we walked about 30 minutes more until I was to tired and we took a 10 minute taxi ride to eat Arroz chino...mmmm...
At 3.30 I called the embassy and she said that all the info i need is on the paper i already had. So now we have to go to the bank, get an appointment at the embassy and pay for it there, then pray God and the embassy find favor on us.
Please pray for this process over the next few weeks, that Beto will be able to join me on my visit to meet my family. we will be together for the first time in about 4 years, and it may be the last time for another 4 years.
To conclude, last night as I was about to use the phone, I noticed a reddish worm on the floor that blended in the color of the floor. As I moved closer I noticed it has antenae and about a hundred legs, so I went to get the Raid, but it started to move and I thought it´ll be long gone by the time I get back, so I took drastic measures and had to kill it with my flip flop. I´m not sure who took more of a beating, the centipede-scorpioin thingy, or my flip flop. seeing that the flip flop is still alive to tell about it, I´d vote for him.
May you have no fear of critters in your abode.

5 comments:

  1. You handled that sooooo much better than I would have! I just pray that it all comes together for him to come in May and when he gets here they accept his papers! that is just crazy!! Love you!!!!
    Glenda

    ReplyDelete
  2. Get Linda to tell you about the time she killed a scorpion in our yard in Liberia. She held it down with a machete and dropped a concrete block on the machete to cut the scorpion in half.
    David

    ReplyDelete
  3. come to think of it, i should get right on buying a machete. our grass needs to be cut.
    that sounds like a great story. i hope you guys can come visit me here this summer.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah yes, critters in the house. We were asked once what kinds of critters got in our bush house in Papua, and we told them the list of what didn't get in was much shorter.
    Visitors? Python, fruit bat, HUGE GREEN frog, cockroaches, rats, etc. ad nauseum

    ReplyDelete
  5. Speaks! You and Beto are in my prayers! I hope that everything works out for you! We miss you and love you soooo much!

    ReplyDelete