Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Embarrasing moment

My embarrassing moment will be magnified when I look up "embarrasing" and realize it's spelled wrong.
I never have embarrasing moments. Really, it takes a lot to embarrase me, but leave it to kids to humble you. This was my fault, however. Goes a little like this.

My kids were eating lunch outside and a small group of them were sitting down the steps from the classroom about 50 yards in front of me against the wall, facing me. I sat on the step into the room eating my lunch, watching them, being very conscious of putting my knees together since I was in a skirt. About 5 minutes later though I noticed the group of kids looking at me, snickering and pointing, whispering among themselves. I knew what that was about so I changed positions promptly.

All went to go play and all was well, until they all came back to class after lunch was over. All of a sudden Ceci, a girl from "the group", busted out in tears. This is totally not like her. She's a very stable, well-behaved girl. So I took her outside to talk. Since the office is next door, Dr. Troy, the director, came out as well to see what this was all about. Ceci was crying too hard to talk and I couldn't understand her. Two of her friends, who were also in "the group", came out to tell me. Seems some kids had told her that they were going to tell me that she was the one talking about me showing off my "bloomers" (direct quote, i have no idea where he got that word!) and she was scared to death. I told her I knew what they were laughing at but that that happens sometimes in life and I wasn't mad at here, that it had passed, and sent her inside. She was fine. The most embarassing part was that Dr. Troy was there, who understood because he speaks English, knowing that he knew what had happened. Later, at the end of the day, she gave me two pictures she had made for me. She must've been super relieved that I was going to punish her for talking about my "bloomers".

2 comments:

  1. You handled it well ... but I can't remember when I last heard the word, "bloomers"!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had to wear "bloomers" at Hughes J.H. for P.E. and they snapped on the side so when we played flag football you had to be careful when ripping the flag off or you would unsnap your opposing players pants ...er bloomers...right off!!

    You handled it well!!

    ReplyDelete