Monday, January 15, 2007

Bookstore and prayer requests

This bookstore idea I've had since August when I first moved to La Esperanza. I've been talking a lot lately to my school principal who is a business man and knows a lot of people. I just see a need for it because there isn't one right now and I would like for school parents to be able to buy quality books they need without having to drive 4 hours to the big cities. Today Dr. Troy mentioned to me that he was going to have a meeting with the man who owns the new bus station tonight to see if I can get a new store spot there. He doesnt know if he'll be too excited about putting a bookstore there. There will only be food stores as of now he thinks, but I think it would be perfect, with all the out of towners and out of countryers passing through, they could sit for a spell and enjoy a cup of coffee, read a book/magazine, hopefully buy one to read on their journey. I really hope to see this happen by the end of the year at the latest. It will be a lot of work and money, so pray for this effort and for us and that God will lead us, give us wisdome, and that we'll be in His will.
Another prayer request is for a little girl that was kidnapped last Friday from a school bus here in twon from another school (the other big private school). 2 guys wanted this new car that a rich family here had just got, so they got on the bus, put a gun to the driver's head, and said who they wanted. They ended up taking the wrong girl. The girl they really were looking for wasn't on the bus that day but they have the same name. They are asking for a lot of money still from the rich family and keeping the poor(er) girl in hiding somewhere. Apparently it happened in front of another one of our own school busses and of course scared a lot of kids and parents. Pray for safety of the little girl, emotional stability, for the family's comfort and peace and for wisdom for the police and those who are searching for a healthy solution to all of this, for all people involved.
Finally, in the surrounding mountains there is a big fire that some helicopters went to today to put out with giant water buckets. Keep that situation in your prayers.
thanks and God bless you this week!

2 comments:

  1. I sent off a small box(to start with) of about 10 books. today but sent them air mail this time. When I send the next batch I'll send the snail mail. Those will probably take 3 months to get to you. We will see if there is much of a difference. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So scary about that kidnapping and I do hope that they are able to find the child and return them safely to the parents. That family is in my prayers.

    I love the idea of the bookstore Laura and hope that you will be able to put it where it is most needed.

    Miss you!!

    ReplyDelete