Tuesday, November 28, 2006

California Dreamin'

On such a winter's daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay!

I had a dream the other night that I was sitting in my mom's car somewhere in SoCal and I looked up and out the windshield and got a little freaked out by the HUGE green street sign and the traffic light. I realized I havn't seen either of those in over 2 months. I mean, imagine, an actual sign to announce the name of the street. Talk about reverse culture shock. (There's also no billboards here).

Then a few nights later I dreamed I was a little girl at a summer camp, for the whole summer! I was hating it, I was bored, and I really just wanted to go home. All of a sudden (you know how dreams are), they told us to pack. I frantically tried to pack my cold-weather clothes as fast as I could but I just didn't have enough time, and I was so upset because I absolutely dread the cold. A fellow teacher from here was in my dream and she was a counselor and hurrying me up to go. Then I found out that we were only going on a little weekend field trip and that we'd have to come back to the camp for another month before going home.

When I woke up I thought, "oh my goodness, that's La Esperanza (where I live now)". THis town is so small, and although I don't hate and am not that bored, I have never lived in a town like this, only in big cities. I feel like I have cabin feaver, except there's no cabin (but there is a cement block apt.) So needlessto say I am really looking forward to leaving this "camp" and visiting LA for a few weeks.

To talk about today, it was a little stressful. The bus was late so I walked in right at 8 when classes are to start. The secretary had opened my classroom door for the kids before I got there which I really didn't like because my kids are little and they only have eyes for other little kids' stuff, and sometimes my stuff on my desk, if you know what I mean. Then to top it all off I found out at my busstop, before the day even started, that I had a new student in 2nd grade and in 1st (brother and sister). They hadn't told me anything or let me test them in english, and the 1st grader didn't even understand me when I asked her her name in English. But the situation was explained to me later and I feel better now. Just a lack of communication. But I sure am ready for that vacation. Can the other teachers give me and Amen!?

Happy HOLI-days!

Happy HOLI-days everyone!

2 comments:

  1. I think you're crazy.
    In the best of ways.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Janice would give you a hearty Amen! A few years ago, she was set to teach 3rd grade ... again. She'd taught it for years. Had her lesson plans done. Bulletin boards (those cursed bulletin boards ... straight from hell) done and ready to get her new students when the principal told her she would be teaching another grade. None of you get paid enough!!

    ReplyDelete