Monday, October 10, 2005

Siguatepeque

This weekend I went with Amber and the youth from her church to Siguatepeque, another city about 2 hours away from Teguc. Of course, time is all relative here. It took us 3 hours to arrive there because we, well, the leader of the caravan who should remain nameless, not Amber, decided to take a ¨short cut¨ through a muddy construction site, which included a slight incline that caused her tires to cut grooves and slide around. I just looked down and prayed hard. We finally made it. Once at our destination, we stopped at one of the group members relatives house where we made fish soup. Amber and I were hoping they had forgotten the fish, or that we suddenly had a brain laps and thought that we heard wrong and it was really going to be chicken soup instead. We seriously considered visiting the new Wendy´s in town, but of couse cooking it in a house was a step above stopping mid-journey to cook it on the side of the road over an open fire, which had been said. So the youth played soccer in the road and the boys climbed in the trees to throw objects down it at the girls.
After we ate we drove about 20 minutes more to a natural cave which was really cool. I think I´ve only been in a cave once in my life. There were lots of bats, and water trickling down the rocks, which of course makes the smooth waxy look and fun formations. The tour guide was an interesting story teller. Thanks to Amber´s translating skills, I learned that he told a story about a man who robbed amillion dollars from a bank in the U.S. and hid it in the cave, which of course has never been found. Also that some U.S. hikers in the 50´s tried to find the end of the cave but never did. One got lost and was never found. Ok, so now I know why there are so many bats!Dont´they like to suck blood?
After that we let the kids play soccer in the park and then headed home. It was a good day! Sorry I forgot my camera again.

1 comment:

  1. okay all I got out of this was that mexicans have horrible time frames (HELLOOOO I am married to one) and I can totallly relate to that. I remember SHelby's first birthday and waiting over 2 or 3 hours for everyone to arrive before I even started the party,....I learned after that!!!!! and i remember the caves in Colorado with Uncle wayne and all the bats, ask me about it some time!! SCARY (of course Mom and Aunt Gladys....chickens....didn't go)

    ReplyDelete