Monday, October 10, 2005

Asignacion

Each student in Baxter gets an assignment every 6 months to work at a different church, preaching, evangelizing, leading songs, etc. to get the experience of what it´s like to work in a church. Some churches are 4 hours away, and others are a 10 minute walk from Baxter. They work every Sat. and Sun.
Beto´s asignacion this time is in a little barrio called Nueva Australia about a 25 minute car ride away but in the public busses about an hour. Yesterday I went with him for the first time. It´s a small but nice, typical building, simple one room with uncomfy wood pews, with the children´s rooms outside in an adjoining building. Everyone is real friendly, arrives fairly early and sits quietly, waiting for the service to begin. No coffee or donuts, but next week the women are going to sell tamales after church. mmm...
Beto preached from Luke about the story of the disciples in the boat trying without luck to catch fish when Jesus tells them to put their nets on the other side of the boat. He talked about needing to give up the hindrences in our lives that keep us from obeying God and just ¨Let down our nets and trust in Him, and the blessings will flow.¨I am so proud of him! After I told him he did great, and he said, ¨Oh you´re just saying that because you´re my girlfriend.¨Actually i wasn´t but I did give him a couple things he could do next time.
After church there was a class for the youth taught by Beto´s partner from Baxter, and afterwards we got to eat a yummy typical homemade meal in one of the church member´s homes. The only typical food missing was fried bananas, which i certainly didnt cry about.
Please pray for Beto and his partner in crime, Gary, and the church. It is fairly new and I can see it growing big, fast. Pray for the whole neighborhood to become believers. Thanks for reading.

1 comment:

  1. I am so happy that you have found such a godly man Laura!! I remember when you were just a wee little one and all the torture we put you through! you have grown into such a wonderful compassionate christian young lady and I pray over Shelby every night that I will be able to parent her into someone like her Aunt Laura (I know weird huh? but true). I am so proud of you Laura! And proud of the man that you support. I pray that Beto will be successful in his missionary work as well as you! I LOVE YOU!!!

    ReplyDelete