Wednesday, October 19, 2005

random

has it really been a week since i blogged? so much happens here that i think about as i´m walking to or from school, but once i´m at the computer, i either don´t have time to write adequately, or the events of the day seem too boring to write about. so this here will be my thoughts flowing as they come but i´ll try to make it interesting.
WEll, happy birthday as well to my dad, Oct. 7th, brother in law Dave Groh Oct.12, and sister Mary...no she´s not a nun...Oct.17th. Laura Heida´s also coming up Oct.24th.
So I walk usually to and from school and it never fails that i get some kind of verbal appreciation or honked at, although honking is like breathing here so i never really know if they are honking at me. Today was a half day and Pet day at school, which meant no teaching, basically. Sorry again for forgetting my camera. We teachers had to stay for a lecture about how to lecture...no lie...and i don´t believe in lecturing, so i didn´t really pay attention, plus it was in spanish. i mean, if we´re bored hearing you lecture, what makes you think the students want to be lectured at. Besides, most of them don´t understand very well what I say in English. Anywho, so after that meeting we had a small party for all the teachers who have bdays in Sept.and Oct. After that I tidied up some things at school and by that point I was leaving at the same time as a normal day. As I was walking home thinking about what I would do with my free time since there´s no school tomorrow or Friday, I heard yet another honk, but this truck stopped. Just keeeeeep walking, I told myself. Well, it was the preacher of the family I live with. I asked him yesterday if he could take me to immigration today. I had forgotten but thank goodness he hadn´t. He was going to the school to pick me up. Luckily there´s only one main road to the school. I have to pay to renew my VISA each month so I was just going to pick up my passport.
I went to church again last Sunday with Beto and Gary. Gary preached and Beto led communion. There were some new faces and after church I met some precious little girls who I hope will keep coming so we can be friends. While Gary taught the teen class afterwards, Beto ministered to a woman for about an hour. She seemed to have some kind of problem with her knee. I talked to her daughter for awhile, but then they had to go. After church a new lady showed up desperate because she had been kicked out of her home by her brother in law. We prayed with her and talked to her for awhile. Hopefully she will start coming to the church. This coming Sunday Beto is singing with Baxter choir at another church.
With all the hurricanes lately, it´s ironic that we havn´t had much rain in the city and that the school hasn´t had running water for over 10 days.
My students in 4th grade love to pray. They beg to pray before school, snack, lunch and before going home. They almost fight over it. Can you imagine, a fist fight over praying?? What have I begun?! It is great though and I enjoy my students. This week was simple for high school since we just reviewed for the first quarter final exams which begin next week. Please pray for them.
I have also begun tutoring one 4th grade student on Saturdays for 2 hours. He is a good kid, actually lived in the States most his life, but is one of my worst readers, yes in English. Why am I not surprised? But it´s a good chance to minister to him. Please pray for him and his mom as well.
Thank you to everyone who keeps me in your thoughts and prayers. I keep you in mine too.

1 comment:

  1. OH mi hermana, mi amore...okay I know that probably wasn't right. I did learn how to say sugar in spanish today but geez now I can't remember what it is. the other day one of the guys from work came up and was looking for the silicone......I wasn't sure what he was asking so I finally said "en espanol how do you say silicone" he looked at me and said "silicone" Cindy and I just laughed and laughed!!
    anywho
    I miss you and love reading your blogs.
    I am very proud of you!!!
    continue to minister to those children, they really need you and appreciate you!

    mwah
    glenda

    ReplyDelete