Monday, September 04, 2006

Mondays...

i survived! The day started out well, although I´m still gettting used to teaching at this school, these grades, etc. and still feel a little unorganized and like i don´t know what i´m doing. The day started with the typical ¨Civic Act¨we do each Monday morning for about 15 minutes. We salute the flag, sing the 5 minute flag song (no lie), hear announcements, maybe a motivational story, check uniforms, miscellaneous stuff. After that second grade had music which i sit in on to help with discipline. There just isn´t enough time to do all I feel I need to do in my English classes and I´m starting to feel a little overwhelmed!
First grade went ok until one sweet little boy started to cry because other kids were laughing at his picture. I felt so bad, and they don´t listen very well after lunch, and frankly I´m so tired I could just lay down right there on the ground and have us all take a little nap!
The last class of the day is Art with 2nd grade. we started at 2.15 and they don´t have books or any resources, so it´s a lot of me talking...boring...and by the time they started drawing they only had about 15 minutes. I have to start them very early copying down their homework because last year in first grade they didn´t have to copy it, an aide did it for them. So some kids still need 30 minutes! and they almost missed the bus! aaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhh....i got so flustered, then I realized, wait! This is ART! This should be so relaxing! But they only have it one day a week, and by the time it starts and ends it´s only about 15 or 20 minutes per week. Hardly nothing! But we think we might have a solution so we´ll see how next Monday goes.
One last thing concerning homework. One kid copied his homework like this¨English...1 Worksh*t intstead of how I wrote it on the board the correct way. It´s because in spanish the ï¨sounds like ¨ee¨. I just corrected it on his paper myself so his parents didn´t freak out if they do know English well enough to know what that means, but I had to laugh inside.
Hope you all had a wonderful Monday!

No comments:

Post a Comment