Friday, February 01, 2013

Praying for an upward trend of "counts"

Sorry for not writing in so long. Just happened across another blog about another girl with Leukemia and there is nearly a post for everyday. I wish now that I had posted SOMETHING and a picture everyday, but alas, I am not like some other people. Sometimes I am just too tired or just don't want to share scary, ugly pictures of my child that would make you squirm.
But here is an update I can tell you about, and this will be news to you if you're not following us on "the facebook".  She still has all of her blood counts at zero, basically. She needed another platelet and blood transfusion within the last 48 hours.

Banging her hand down, she screemed, "I WANT MORE BEANS!" 


YUP, Feeding herself already.

I guess this means I broke my vow to not put up pictures that might make you squirm.
Bela feels great. We can tell this by all the smiles and laughs and dances she gives us. She has started to eat rice cereal and tonight: GREEN BEANS! for the first time! She loved them! My sister Glenda got to feed her and she took all the pictures.

As you can see Bela is bald. She was born with a ton of hair.  The large red patch on the left side of her face is Ringworm, the doctors think. They're giving her an anti-fungal cream which doesn't seem to be helping.  When her blood counts go up and she gets more immunity, the ringworm should go away.

She loves to play in her bouncy chair and has started to sit up by herself. She keeps all of her food down and didn't have any blood in her stool this afternoon. She's not in isolation anymore and she loves walking the hall and going to the playroom.

The Occupational Therapist came in today to work with her on her gross motor skills. She is a little behind since she's not crawling yet, but honestly, the girl gets held all the time!  So we need Bela to be on her tummy more. I didn't think about it today but I wonder if Bela thinks that her Broviac is part of her body. She's had it since she was one month old.  I worry that it hurts her when she's on her stomach but the therapist said it shouldn't be a problem.  She has shown some progress towards crawling with her leg movements but her arms and core need to get stronger so she can start doing her push-ups with Santi.

Her counts have taken the longest this time out of all of her "rounds".The chemo from the other rounds is catching up to her. I had predicted, based on the last two rounds of chemo, that she'd be out of the hospital by Jan. 20th or so.  But honestly I am feeling bittersweet about her departure. This is just giving us more time with all of her "aunts and uncles" who take care of her.  She doesn't know any different. For her it's her home.

She has made a wonderful new friend in another patient and all I can say is they play together everyday and have a lot of fun together!

Thanks for all of your prayers! As I look back sometimes over old posts I remember where she used to be and how far God has brought her, and we look forward to never taking another day for granted and how healthy she will be in a year from now when I look back on this post.

No comments:

Post a Comment