Tuesday, February 12, 2013

The glory of God at a park

We went to the park today.  Just me and Santi and Bela. We weren't planning on going to the park but we live just two blocks away and Santi wanted to go.  Bela and I hung out on the grass.
  It was so perfect, simple, and beautiful I almost cried.  This "normal" thing for most people is truly a miracle for us.
Bela loved the grass. I wasn't prepared and didn't take my camera.  She loves to look around, at people, at the trees, the cars, everything. She's very observant.  When the gentle breeze blows [her one tuft of hair], I notice it and think how wonderful that Bela is getting to experience that now.  Things I wouldn't have ever thought of before nor would have enjoyed so much are causes for huge smiles now.

We are settling in and adjusting now.  It's so strange how all of a sudden, overnight, our lives change dramatically once again, and all without much fanfare. I mean, how do you sum up seven months of childhood cancer?  It's like one of those "life events" such as a wedding, graduation, or funeral where afterwards, things are very very different and yet life goes on.

I think, though, that this is how God made us: to be able to not just survive such a huge event, but come out stronger and wiser and yet still able to take on "the mundain" everyday tasks. How in awe I am that Jesus was born in a stable; The Glory of God surrounded by people just going about their lives.  I'd expect more...I don't know...more of a "party-like" atmosphere at home and all around me.  I mean, my child IS CANCER FREE!!! WHY DO I EVEN CARE ABOUT FOLDING CLOTHES RIGHT NOW???!!!  but at home we are just living....we wake up, brush our teeth, have breakfast and before we know it it's time for dinner. Where did the time go? What the heck did we even do today? I know I didn't sit down except to feed the baby.  Oh yea, I sanitized all of Bela's toys...again.  I fed and clothed and cleaned my two kids, myself, my husband (he's self-cleaning though), made meals, cleaned the kitchen, tidied up the house, made some "business-like" calls to the doctors and the insurance agency, took pictures, uploaded them, blogged, got distracted on facebook, and the list goes on and on.  But the Glory of God is always with us and around us.  Let's. just. not. miss. it.

Inside of each of us in our family we feel celebratory. I wasn't able to attend Bela's "going away party" last Friday at the hospital when she was discharged. I was fighting a small cold and I was sooo disappointed.  I'd looked forward to that day for seven months!  There was so much built up, anticipated.  I'd dreamed about that day many many times, and then to not be there, I feel like I didn't get closure.  But I know that the hospital staff will forever be a part of our extended family.

We are getting used to all being home together and taking care of two kids at once. The toughest thing I'd say so far is BEDTIME!!! So far we've tried to stick to a schedule. Usually one of us puts Bela to sleep pretty quickly around 7 while the other one gets Santi ready for bed. On a good night the both of them are sound asleep no later than 9.  
Bela isn't sleeping as well as she was in the hospital, or we just notice how much she wakes up since they're aren't any nurses here to take care of her at night.  She seems to be adjusting to her new bed and surroundings.  I wonder if it's just too quiet here, she is so used to the background noise of the hospital: talking in the hallway, IV machines beeping, getting all her vitals taken, etc.
Beto and I are also getting used to sleeping in the same bed every night, not just Wednesdays when either Christa Johnson or her mom Nuggest would spend the night with Bela.  We thank them for their sacrificial service!

We still feel overwhelmed with gratitude to everyone for all they have done for us and Bela. Especially the prayers. I can't say it enough how humbled we feel to know that we are indebted to so many people, known and unknown to us, for saving Bela's life. Above all God and His Son Jesus we know healed Bela, but He also used literally thousands of prayer warriors and it has made all the difference. 
Showing off his soccer uniform from Tio Seth

Ready to go for our walk.

Santi's self-portrait

Also taken by santi. Bela reminds me of a cartoon character but I can't put my finger on it.



No comments:

Post a Comment