Saturday, April 07, 2007

Goodbye Spring Break...boo hoo..

Well, my trip is almost officially over. I've already started my trip back, a day early. I tried to change my original ticket to leave from Tampa, but with my ticket that's impossible, with Contintental. So I tried to just change it to a different day and time. Again, it's contintental. So i tried to just change the day, but leave at the same time. Well, monday was already sold out but even if i could've gone tuesday they woul'dve charged me the same amount of money i paid in the first place!
so instead of renting a car and driving from tampa to jacksonville through the night, i got a cheap flight from tampa to jacksonville on southwest, which....oh my goodness. Their cheerfullness is just NOT WELCOME after the frustrations of going through security. You know that Bible verse that says something like "singing to a wounded soul only makes it worse" ? I think i'ts in Proverbs.
I had blueberry muffin mix in my backpack because i had to first take out 10 pounds of stuff from my suitcase so i would'nt have to pay the overweight fee (good thing they don't have a weight limit on people!) . The xray machine showed a mysterious green substance, so of course the lady took everything out of my bag and said, "Well, I'll let you go with your canned blueberries THIS time, even though I should'nt, because it's in a box. Ok, can I have you put your stuff back in your bag?" I wanted to say, "No, you put it back. You took it out." and of course i had to chug all my water and the rest of my coke. A minute later as i'm putting all my stuff back in my backpack, which is nearly impossible since it's 10 pounds of stuff i pulled out of my suitcase, another old lady comes over, picks up my almost empty bottle, and says, "oh, you still got food in there." well, you can imagine the thoughts that went through my mind!
so what should've been an enjoyable flight wasn't b/c i don't enjoy cheery people when i'm mad.

i get to the hotel in a shuttle just fine. but there was an old man who was also waiting for the shuttle and he yells, "he girl. you got that there big ol suitcase on the plane?" well, i'm standing here with it, aren't i? turns out he's on the same shuttle as me. oh joy. he and the driver, both named jack (like, oh my gosh! you're jack too? how cute! that's how it would've gone down in Los Angeles) jabbered away, one from NY and one from Georgia, so it might as well have been in Chinese for me.

I forgot my canned pie fillings in my sisters car, so once i got to the hotel, i walked to the nearest walmart, which wasn't far (surprise surprise...i'm in the south!) and got asked twice by two creepy white guys if i wanted a ride. after it happened the second time on the way back i began to think, hmmm....maybe that's not unusual here. maybe it's just that friendly southern way. but after i asked, i found out it was the creepy kidnapper way.

i'm safe and sound now in my hotel and will leave here tomorrow at 4am to catch my 6am flight and get home at around 4pm tomorrow. THen work on Monday! Happy happy, joy joy.
Hope you all enjoy your Easter more than if you're traveling!

4 comments:

  1. HERE'S YOUR SIGN!

    ReplyDelete
  2. you sound like a very weary traveler! I tried to call Amy to get your phone # at the hotel but lo and behold they were at WalMart...go figure! I am glad you got to spend some time with her and the family but sorry you have to head back so soon.
    Can't wait til December!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ahhh...the joy of post-9/11 travel! Janice flies to Alabama tomorrow (Monday) to spend a few days with her sisters and mother, returning on Friday. All that airline travel in just five days is almost a blessing beyond comprehension, ain't it?

    In the "old days" it would have been very common in the south to be offered a ride. I've given rides to strangers and riddent with them many times. Today it's suicidal.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your blogs always make for such good entertainment. Whenever i want a good laugh, i just pop over to your site..and yes, once again you do NOT disappoint. Glad to see that life is still an adventure for ya. worry when it ceases to be. Your 'tanned' fam is all well. layla and darnell r out of school in just under 3 weeks. both have summer jobs, tours lined up. Dad and i r on our way to london in may for a few days...and we're doing good for pill popping old set....darnell was in marc baucum's wedding last week. can you believe he's married? email when you get a chance...we miss ya...your darker mom....gail

    ReplyDelete