Monday, February 27, 2006

Roatan




Prenote: The pictures aren't in any order so if i talk about them i'm sure you'll figure out which one's are which. Sorry for the disorganization. I just put them all on at once. Roatan is the main one of the islands off the north coast of Honduras. My mom came in only for 8 hours on a cruise ship, so Beto, Amber, and I got a two day trip to see her. It would've been a 3-day trip without flying! Ok, that's enough prenoting.

a note about the pictures...Beto and Amber sitting at a table is the hotel restaurant and the scenery pictures of plants and stairs are of our hotel-beach cabins. They were so nice with a little kitchenette and big bano, and a hammock hanging outside on the porch. heavenly! It was so quiet and peaceful there. we could only hear the sounds of numerous different animals.

The night before we left for Roatan, there was a lot of cooking going on! Amber had a lot of fun making cinnamon rolls. She liked to watch them bake. Mmm…we all couldn’t wait till they were done. Beto made “Guatemalan tacos” from scratch. I got to help but you didn’t need to see any pictures of that.

We flew into Roatan Tuesday at 8am(Beto’s first flight, which is why he’s reading the emergency card) and from the plane we saw a cruise ship at dock, so we got excited and thought my mom’s ship was really early, so we took a taxi to the dock and waited for her for awhile. We saw a lot of tour busses pass us on the way to the dock and I kept looking for my mom. We weren’t allowed to enter the dock area, it was only for boat passengers. Finally someone we asked told us that another ship was coming in at 12:30pm, which is what my mom told me, and she also told me the name of her ship which was different from the one at dock at 8:30. Duh! I was just so excited I wasn’t thinking right.
So we left to go find a hotel, and then went swimming for a couple hours. At about 11am we saw a ship in the distance and we thought it was the other earlier ship leaving. Later we found out it was my mom’s ship coming in early. We didn’t get to the dock until 1 and mom and her friend Gladys had been walking around looking for us since 11:30! We just can’t win!
It was a great reunion with my mom and her friend Gladys. We rented a van to drive us around wherever we wanted to go and wait for us when we wanted to get food, get out to take pictures, and hang out on the beach. We had a great time together but it certainly wasn’t long enough. I was very sad to see my mom go but I have plans to come home for about 2 weeks in May, which isn’t too far off.
The next day, Wednesday, Beto, Amber, and I stayed in Roatan because the only plane leaves at 6pm, which we didn’t make on Tuesday night. So we had all of Wednesday to relax and have fun. We went snorkeling, which was the first time for Beto and me. It was amazing to see so much life below the ocean, so many beautiful fish, plants, and even barracudas and snakes! Yikes! We went pretty far from shore and were in the water for about 2 hours. We totally lost track of time and Amber and I came home very sunburned on our backs. Ouch! But we lived. It was a great time and I didn’t want to leave. Roatan, Even though it’s expensive, it’s quiet, relaxing and there’s so much to do there. The next day I stayed home to rest up from my vacation! No, really, I had a really gross throat infection and went to the dr., but I’m better now. I just am so thankful the mom got to come meet Beto and Amber. What a blessing!

1 comment:

  1. I am soooooo happy that you were able to see Mom. Although it was a short amount of time I know that it meant the world to the both of you! She (and I) were so proud to show off the pictures of you Sunday night! You look great!

    ReplyDelete