Thursday, April 23, 2009

an excerpt

well, this isn´t really an excerpt because i don´t have anything to take it out of, but i feel like this is a parenthesis from yesterday´s blog and i like that word...ëxcerpt¨funny word.
so yesterday we go to the immigration office, because here we are actually illegals. but that´s another story. we´re working on getting legal. don´t judge.
anywho, we thought the office opened at 7.30. but when we got there at around 8.30 there was a line outside and they opened at 9. when we get to the door, the man asks if we have an appt. We said no and then he said, well you have to go to the bank and pay for one first. I looked at Beto and thought, great! Amber did this before with you boys and she didn´t say anything about having to go to the bank first!
I told him that we didn´t and he just kept letting others go in front of us and ignoring us. and kept asking us if we had an appt. we did this about three times before he finally let us in and told us that there was a bank right inside the offices. so we waited in line about an hour before the bank that opens at 9 opened at 10. Not surprising. Then we paid and got an appt. for the next day at 8.30am. We went to ask exactly what documents we would need because there in the offcies i read something tht made me think we might have to go to the embassy´s first of each of our country´s to get our passports authenticated or something, but we were confused and found out too that we could pay a little more and get the passport the same day. the money we paid would´ve been used on taxi´s going back and forth again so we decided to pay a lil extra and save time too. this way we got to sleep in another day too! so anyways, the appt. was fast and we were out of there quickly.
but my point of this blog is to tell a littel story.
so we´re in line at the bank and i see this woman come in. she´s maybe 50 years old and she´s with a teen girl, probably her daughter. she goes over to another line, cuts in front of an elderly woman with a cane...the older lady doenst say anything b-c that´s the way it is here, but if i were her i would´ve used my cane! she´s also pushing her daughter in front of other people and pinching her arm to manipulate her where to stand.
a few minutes later she comes over and puts herself at the front of OUR line! and i hate when people do this and it happens all the time and usually i say something, so i gently tap her on the shoulder and tell her there´s a line...duh, like she doenst see it. and she very rudely says, ï´m a senior citizen, i get to cut. and i just stare at her and then look back in the line to point out an elderly man much older than her who didn´t cut, and i look bck at her and she repeats herself and than says,
¨Do you understan??¨ uuuuuuuuuuggggggggghhhhhh....yes, i understand that you´re RUDE! beto made me let it go, but it was very difficult.
i am looking fwd. to being in the states where people don´t cut, or do they?

4 comments:

  1. Well, yes they do but not so much as in Honduras I noticed when I was there. I just figure that they will get paid back somehow someday or, maybe they are just having a bad day. Chill, it's not the end of the world, at least not yet. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Permit me to share a short story from Uganda. People are very friendly and polite, but when there's a food line---whatchout!@ Last year I was standing in line for lunch after a secondary school event. There was a VERY LARGE woman behind me. The line was not moving, but she was!!!! Every couple of seconds she put more of her body against mine!!! I finally got to where I just couldn't take it anymore . . . it was like the definition of "you're making my skin crawl!" I turned around and just said with a smile, "NNAYBO!!" Which means LADY! She smiled and backed off. whew! I've been in food lines here where senior ladies, hunched over pushed the kids and I aside so they could be first. My neighbor said, "OH YEAH, you get me and my friends in a food line and WATCH OUT!!!!" So, all that to say, don't come to Uganda anytime too soon, at least till you've chilled in the states for awhile!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Laura I understand how you feel. Only problem I have encountered here are at the grocery store when they open a new line. Then watch out for the men!!!!!!!! Also, when Uncle Kirk and I traveled and stopped at the truck stops those men would just step in front of me to pay and the WOMEN cashiers would let them!!! Thank you women libbers!!!! Or, maybe I am invisible!!! To my recollection I've not had any problem with women cutting. Personally, I'd like to go back to the "old days" when women were treated with respect by men!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. hey this is your bro from up here!
    Hey guys just wanted to let you know that I am back in the states for awhile and I do want to say it man my nefhew is so good looking!I can't wait to hold him and take him places and spoil him like a good uncle should and and buy him things and ect....ect. I got him him a cool army blanket that is soft and a U.S. Army stuffed mascott! man I am so proud of you guys and so lucky to have you guys in my life!! I want to go down there and help out with your building ok I will save my leave up so that I can go there for a few weeks with Glenda of course! but we will have to get details and a floor plan started and what we are going to need and see what ears I can bend to try to get some $$ if anything donations. well I just want to say I miss you guys and be safe cause I know what is going on down there can be dangerous at times with the underground. well take care and I love you guys oxox to my nephew ok have to think of a nickname for him a good one. chow for now

    ReplyDelete