Thursday, June 26, 2008

New Little Business

This week I decided that since I love to bake baked goods, I would try to sell some outside the apartments and just see how it goes. The first day it went really well. I only made 16 banana muffins and they sold in an hour. I had to go in and make more and sold about 28 in the afternoon. Everyday it´s gotten a little better. This morning I had to go out at about 6.45am becuase from then until about 7.30 it seems the most people pass by. We, Beto and I, sold some coffee too and I got some orders for cakes and cookies. I think I might have found my calling! I love baking and I love meeting new people that come to buy. Sometimes we get some shady characters. Like yesterday a man came by and wanted to buy 15 muffins, ¨for the cheeldrens¨, he said in english. Wow! Ok, I was excited! Later he came by but just kept walking on by without looking at me. Beto was out there and I asked the man, Do you want to take your muffins now?¨ ¨Later later¨, he said. Turns out he was drunk. He just held his liquor really well.
Today another man came by. He wanted us to give him a muffin and coffee for free. I told him I was very sorry but we couldn´t do that. We had some very small muffins that burned a little that were at half price. He started to rub his belly and say he was very hungry. After awhile he just stood there and stared at us. We finally had to ignore him becuase he wouldn´t let up. Finally he walked away and shouted at us, ¨Well, FINE! I´ll ask God and not you!¨ He apparently didn´t hold his liqour so well.
In about a week we´ll be moving to another house closer to church. We are hoping to open up the business there maybe 1/4 time between ministries with the church, teaching Bible, etc.

We found a house to rent! It has 4 bedrooms, kitchen,dining room, family room, one bath and a lot of land outside. Beto could plant a corn field if he wants! We are pretty excited. It´s a litle big for just us but we may rent out a room or two in the future. All the other places were too small, too expensive, too old and ugly, or too far from church. And it´s not a bad price for being so big, and we know the owners already. The only thing is that the kitchen sink is a little too small and low to the ground for me, but I guess I can adjust. Maybe start washing dishes sitting down, or just have Beto do them! Just kidding. Washing dishes and cooking is about all I have to do. Beto is so great at washing clothes, sweeping, mopping. I´m so blessed!

1 comment:

  1. Ms. Laura, I'm just sitting here imagining your selling your baked goods outside your house, with a smile on your face (and maybe flour, too!). That is really exciting! It's fun doing things you love and making a little money to boot! Good luck with that!

    I'll be excited to see pics of your house!!!

    Are you still doing the bookstore?

    Love, Jeanne

    ReplyDelete