Monday, June 30, 2008

The move

Today is the big day. We have everything ready to move. One of Beto{s friends is coming by tonight, kind enough to bring his truck to help us move. We are excited but it is a lot of work and stress. At least we do not have a lot to move. Homes here do not come with closets so until we find something we like we will be using our suitcases. We are moving closer to the church and we are excited to be moving into something new. We do not really know what the future holds and that is a little scary. Sometimes we do not even know what we are doing, but we have the peace of God and we are sure that He is always leading us and is with us.

The interview turned out for the best, "gracias a Dios" and thanks to all you who prayed. The reporter made some pretty funny comments after the interview aired. He portrayed me as a good example that all Hondurans should look at. He asked the camera man, "What do you do on your vacations?" "Travel", he said. Then the reporter said with a little caution, "I do not just get a week of vacation, i get one month, and I do not know about you, but well, on my vacation, I, well, I sleep....a lot!" And because of the interview I got a few calls from people who saw it that bought a lot of products.

Last Saturday Beto was well enough to help me sell at the school across the street and thanks to God because I could not have done it without his help! He made at least 10 trips back and forth from the store or house to the school, bringing more plates, forks, napkins, coffee, etc. We had so many customers, many very demanding, and we sold everything, which was the goal! Praise God. We made a bit of money which will help us a little bit to buy some appliances we need for the new house. In this small town where most people seem to know everyone, it helps to have friends with family in the appliance selling business. She will give us a really good discount.

I was not able to sit outside to sell today since we are packing up but I look forward to opening it up again at the new house. It was a really good ministry too. For instance, one day a drunk 19 year old passed by and I was talking to a Christian friend-apt. mate outside. She is Honduran and worked as a counselor at the school. I could not understand him very well since he was slurring and not making any sense. He was asking for money and she said we were not going to give him any. He asked for me to give him free bread but I said, I am really sorry but I cannot because this is my business right now. She encouraged him to buy some to take to him mom to appease her for him coming home drunk. She said, "why are you drinking, you are so young?" and he started to cry! he said his grandfather had died. I was glad she was there becuase I wasnt sure what to say or what i wouldve done. she said that she lost her father and brother awhile back but it led her closer to the Lord and not to drinking. It was a really great opportunity for ministry. In this town where bars are poppping up more frequently it is encouraging to see refreshing times of ministry like this and we are praying for many more, that La Esperanza will truly be a city and a light on a hill!

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like you have some very busy times ahead for you but some exciting new adventures as well. I love hearing your stories. I think that is great that you are doing baking and able to make some money from that. Love you guys!!

    ReplyDelete