Sunday, February 03, 2008

Our other new addition...






About a year ago Beto made friends with some young children that roam the streets begging for food. Here and there he'd give them a few lempira to buy tortillas for the family. He invited them to church but they'd never show up at their meeting place. He stopped giving them money and told them that when they wanted to come to church he'd start helping them out again, because he wanted them to seek first God and not only seek out Beto only for money.
About two weeks ago when I was in the internet two of them, brothers, came in and asked me for a few lempira. I said "no"and they asked me to buy them chips. I said I wasn't going to waste my money on junk food, so they asked me to buy them fruit. I couldn't argue with that or their warm faces, so I bought them about 3 fruits each. When I told Beto he said he had it on his heart to teach them responsibility and put them to work to earn their money/food.
A few days later the younger brother met me outside the internet and walked home with me to see Beto. Beto asked him if he wanted to help in the garden (mr. ken, it's coming backto life!) and he helped beto really hard for about 3 hours. he's 7 years old. Since then, he's been coming almsot everyday, picking up trash in the complex, helping in the garden, washing dishes, and helping beto with the strawberries. it's been good for all of us. Miguel enjoys the two "new " shirts beto bought him, and one Ms. Dani donated, and the food he eats in our apt. and takes home with him to his family of 10 siblings and his single mother who works in a cantina.
he loves Mateo too and is a big help in that area as well. Our hearts are growing more for him each day. He is a very hard worker, isn't a burden, and is sweet.
And the best part...he showed up to go to church with us today! He loved it and had Beto help him with his Sunday school homework this afternoon!
Please pray for us as we seek God about what to do in this situation, what to do and how far to go as far as providing for him. Pray for wisdom and clarity and unity of purpose between Beto and I in this and to do what God wants.

2 comments:

  1. Awwww what a cute puppy! And for the little boy, I think that it is very important for him to earn what is given to him. I will pray for him and his family but I think that you and Beto are a big influence in his life. Praise God that he came to church on Sunday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay, it's been a while since I was here, but this post is the best blog I've read in a long time!!

    ReplyDelete