Friday, February 29, 2008

City girl meets country chicken

You know, being a city girl in the country and being a newlywed can be a pretty bad combination. I love so many things about living in the country: the peace and quiet, the simple way of living, not needing a car, getting lots of exercise and eating fresh healthy foods. But I learned one thing I really don’t like about living in the country: cooking a whole chicken.
I’d never had to skin and cut up a whole chicken before. Usually I buy the parts I want, but in the store this time they only had it whole. I decided to make a homemade chicken and rice soup. So I followed Betty’s instructions exactly, being my first time and all. At least we have a microwave because I had to dethaw it quickly. Then I stuck the whole thing in the pot but thought, that doesn’t look right. So after re re reading the directions, I realized I’d have to cut it. Aaaaaahhhhh…I don’t like! I started one little part at a time, but then I turned it over and saw a long…thing…hanging out of it. What, is that it’s umbilical cord???? I know what you might be thinking, but honestly that’s the first thought that came to mind! After nearly fainting, I carried on, one piece at a time. But then, the surface was so slippery, a couple times the bird went sliding across the counter top, hitting the pitcher full of silverware (we don’t have drawers here), and finally landing with a thud into the sink. Thank goodness it landed there and not on the floor! Talk about gross!
After that everything went pretty well and I think it was even worth it. Of course, nobody does boneless, skinless like Tyson, but the absolute dream would be to just pick up a bowl at Bake n Broil. Would have saved me a lot of time and hassle. But then what kind of experience does it give you? So I’m proud to say I wrestled with a dead bird, and won!

7 comments:

  1. Hey--be happy you didn't have to carry the chicken home alive, kill it, pluck it, singe its pinfeathers, etc.!
    We were reminded of the time somebody gave us a live chicken, and we had to do all that. This city boy held the chicken's feet while another guy swung the axe. I let go, the chicken was barely grazed, and we had to catch it again. It was almost as comical as finding an umbilical cord inside a chicken!
    David Cron

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wasn't much help while living so close and cooking all the chicken dishes-----you would have thought I could have showed you, but I am glad I didn't after reading about this.
    I can just see you now, wrestling with the BIRD!!!! Thanks for the laugh.

    Bev

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just curious, but if you "dethaw" something doesn't that make it frozen solid??

    ReplyDelete
  4. Laura you always make me laugh! I can just picture you tryin to hold on to that bird. I like to get the whole chicken and make him do a little dance, the kids HATE that!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beverly, actually her Mother should have taught her alot more than she seems to have taught her. :)
    mom

    ReplyDelete
  6. Laura, you're hilarious! I'm glad you've finally had the wonderful experience of cutting up a chicken! So proud of you... :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh man! I'm cracking up here! You described it so well, and I'm seeing you doing this and just dying laughing. Really wish I had been there for that one!! I love you, girl.

    ReplyDelete