Saturday, May 19, 2007

Saturday lunch and such




Here we all are at our Saturday lunch place. YOu can see the new "walls"she just put up about 2 weeks ago to separate the kitchen from the dining area. Today she only had fish fried whole, with the head and all, so most of us had tacos or fried chicken. Those plates come with a ton of fried plantanes, salad, and rice for only $1.40. and the owner lady is super sweet. She's been known to give us a free bowl of beans or extra plantanes or extra piece of chicken. I think all our visits helped her to pay for her walls!
I'll try to remember to include a picture of the market next time. It's overflowing with mangoes! I love them and it seems the farmers can't sell enough. The price has gone down significantly the last few weeks from .50 a piece to like5 for .50 cents. You see mango pits and peels everywhere littered in teh streets. It's definately mango season here, no doubt.
I'd like to now include a few funny recent quotes from some first graders homework. keep in mind they can hardly write yet in Spanish let alone in English!
These come from homework where they had to write sentences with verbs...
1. "I see her at the tickle window." The WHAT window?! I want to know what her mom was trying to say when she wrote that for her daughter.
2. "I spend too much money on groceries". again, written by mom?
3. "They use plenty of stunt double people in the movies." wow.
4. "My mom is wack."
5. "My mom is trip(ping)." The last two remind me of my ghetto days, but no one would ever say their mom is wack! I think the student meant to write "working".

1 comment:

  1. Laura those quotes are hilarious!!! You need to start writing a book!
    Interesting about the mangoes, we sponsor a boy through World Vision from Uganda. In his last letter he said that it is mango season and he sees lots of people with mangoes going into Kasana to sell them. They sound delicious!
    thanks for sharing the fotos of your sat. hang out spot! You have to take mom there when you go and load her up on beans!! HA HA!

    ReplyDelete