Friday, August 05, 2005

The Money Pit

Being alone in a house in the capital of One day without work or electricity and this is what happens. First, of course I can see a cockroach crawling on my wall by my bed in the dark. I don´t need to see anything but that. The next morning I truly appreciated the sun more than ever. As I wandered upstairs looking for candles, flashlights, anything to give light, i felt like I was in the ¨Money Pit¨house from the movie. There are tons of termites so everystep I was afraid I would fall through the floor. I won´t use the toilet upstairs because I am afraid ´the toilet and I will go down together. I did handsomly find some chocolate to console me in my boring day, which as you´ll see turned out to be not so boring after all. After searching around upstairs, I looked in the kitchen. I found two flashlights without working batteries. I slowly opened each cabinet carefully, to hear first for critters running around, then would open it more, but not reach my hand inside or move things around too much. When I tried openning a drawer under the sink, the whole cabinet moved and I thought, öh no, this is a big critter, coming out to get me!¨ But alas, the ¨drawer¨is one of those pointless fancy drawers which are baffling to me. Why waste handles? I didn´t even try the bottom cabinets as they were so snuggly tied together with plastic grocery sacks.
After finding candles, I was able to see a little bit at night. My candles were very nicely held in place in between bars of soap in a soapdish. It was the best I could find.
Things are going well. I´ve been working with another group from Arkansas this week at a church, building walls onto their addition and doing a lot of digging, moving rocks and dirt. Mostly I feel it´s just to look busy but Thanks for all your encouragement. I must go but will write again soon.


5 comments:

  1. Hey Laura! I love these blog things, it makes it so easy to stay in touch. Ick-cockroaches! The first question I'm going to ask God when I get to heaven is WHY!!
    We miss you and love you and pray for you! I'm glad you're enjoying Honduras and that it's so beautiful, and the people too!
    {{{{{{{HUGS}}}}}}}
    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Laura,
    I just discovered your blog--while cleaning off my desk I found an old letter from you with the URL. This is a great way for us to keep up with what's going on there!
    David

    ReplyDelete
  3. hey Laura! We all miss you and are praying for you, especially our little prayer warrior Shelby every night! So glad you are doing the Lord's work and enjoying it! Love the pics you send! Love you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Speaks! I can't imagin being alone with the roaches! Your story sounded like something out of a horror flick. I'm glad that everything is working out for you and God is really using you.I'm leaving to El Salvador tomorrow night. You are always in my prayers speaks! Take care and God Bless!

    Love Ya Much!
    Livy

    ReplyDelete
  5. HI Laura, Just got in from Houston. Hot and Humid. I cant imagine how it is there! Send more pictures!

    love, mom

    ReplyDelete