Tuesday, August 16, 2005

A day in the life

Yes, it's true, in case you've not yet heard. I have a job teaching 6 4th graders at a very small private school here in Tegucigalpa. I'm not sure if it is a "Christian" school, but I believe that the principal is. She is a native of Poland, so the school offers German as well as Spanish, but all the classes and subjects are taught in English.
Today I went at 8am, but once again, we didn't start our teacher meeting until about 9, and the director is Polish! But she has lived here for I don't know how long. Long enough to think be on Latino time. Our meeting was all in spanish which i understood but my speaking ability is lagging behind. It ended at 11, so I walked to "The Money Pit" house to get my things, but there's a lock on the front gate now that I don't have a key for. I think the landlady put it there since both my roomate and I havn't been staying there for two weeks. But maybe I could if she'd fix the electricity. Anywho, so I hopped the gate. Later I walked around the neighborhood for 10 minutes looking for the guard who said he could get me a key for the lock so I could get my suitcase out of the gate. Of course he wansn't around. So I walked three blocks to get a taxi and got a nice driver who helped me lug my giant suitcase over the fence.
The people I live with now live about a two minute walk from Baxter but they are not really affiliated with Baxter in any way. They are the same family that my roomate lived with last year. They pastor two churches in two different cities near the city. I don't know how long I'll liv with them or what I'll do when I decide to move, but all in good/God's time. I'm just happy to have a nice place and a job!
God is good. Thanks for all your prayers, love, support, and thoughts! It is so encouraging just to know people are thinking about me.
Love
Laura

8 comments:

  1. Hi Laura,
    Good to hear that you got your job!
    Does it pay enough to live on? When does the school year start?
    Dios te bendiga,
    David

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will know in about a month whether the money is enough to live on and then I'll let you know. The school year starts this friday but the kids only come half day. I have 3 students and we're wating on 2 more but we'll see. Today I decorated my very small room but it has a pretty balcony. I thought Watts was ghetto but for Honduras the school is nice. But for example, you know those alphabet cards on the wall with a word and picture for each letter? Well, for "C" it's "Cornrows". No lie. I don't know where they got their materials, but i had a good laugh.

    ReplyDelete
  3. But C is for cornrows speaks! Ha that is way too funny :)

    I´m glad to hear you found a job and that things are working out for you. I´m here In El Salvador and know just what you mean about the electricity.... it goes out at night and there is no running water here...

    Please let me know if you need any support!

    Love Ya Much!
    Livy

    ReplyDelete
  4. What part of El Salvador is Olivia in? It would be great if she could meet Mark and Marta Littlejohn in Santa Ana.
    David

    ReplyDelete
  5. hi speaks!!!
    It's Laura Heida and LindaRRR. We miss you so much! I'm (LindaR) going to steal one of the pictures that you put up on the board becuase that is the only thing that I have to remember your beautiful smile...hahahaha. Well, you'll be happy to know that Laura is engaged and has to get married soon seeing that she is "expecting." Shhhhh, don't tell anyone. O.k gotta go. Oh noooo, Laura is getting contractions.

    Con Mucho amor y carino,
    Leenda and La u ra

    speaks im not pregnant. linda is a liar.

    ReplyDelete
  6. well, lindarrrr and heida, it's nice to know you two are being good and are being nice to each other, as usual.
    portense bien, ustedes!
    les amo mucho y les extrano mucho tambien!!!
    love
    speaks

    ReplyDelete
  7. David
    i don't know what part olivia is in but i think she's already gone back to the states. her boyfriends family is there and they went to visit.
    thanks for the thought though!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yeah I am back home now as of yesterday. We were all over El Salvador... Santa Rosa, San Salvador & Anamorose and Santa Ana. Thanks for the thought David. I'm going back for Christmas it sounds like... so maybe then I can meet them then :)

    ReplyDelete