Friday, May 13, 2011

My new favorite thing about the US Embassy

I forgot to tell something really important that happened to us on tuesday.  I went inside and when I realized I would be waiting awhile, I went back outside where Beto was and got my book out of the diaper bag.  Of course I had to go through security again, but I little did I know I should´ve hidden my book.

¨You can´t take this inside¨, the security guard said.

Now I was losing some patience.

¨Why?¨, I asked.

¨Because you´ll read it.¨

hmmm...at this point there were so many thoughts in my head I didn´t even know what to say.

¨People have missed hearing their number called because they become so engrossed in their book¨, she said.

¨oH, well, I´ll hear my number.¨I said.

¨Ok, take it in, but don´t read it.¨

hmm....so many more options about how to respond!

¨If the other guard sees you reading it, I will get in trouble¨, she said.

¨Oh fine, I´ll just leave it here.¨

Seriously, punishing everyone for the few who won´t hear their number called is absurd.  If those other people didn´t hear their number, oh well, that´s not my problem.

Besides, the embassy has TV´s in the waiting room. Hello???

4 comments: