Wednesday, February 09, 2011

a recap of Teguc ¨vacation¨

I already wrote in detail about the women´s retreat. But I wanted to write more about our time in ¨the big city¨.  going to Tecucigalpa, the Honduran Capitol, is like going to the States. There´s all the restaurants and fast foods one can imagine, malls, cable, movie theaters, etc. plus traffic, smog, noise, angry drivers, etc.


  Whenever we go to Teguc, we stay with my good friend and old roomate, Amber. She lives with one teenager whom whe´s raised, one 2 year old, and an intern, Courtney, who is awesome!  We had a lot of fun watching US stations on cable, using wireless internet...congrats Amber, by the way...getting to know the city by getting lost a million times, but we thank God for our own car!!! and just spending time with Amber and her family.  We got to visit her homeless ministry once and see her in action at home with some kids who are sponsored to go to a private bilingual school that do their homework at her house.

I enjoyed an álmost all girls night out¨ at a real movie theater!!! and an awesome super bowl party, LIVE!  Finally Amber and I got to go out just us two and enjoy some traditional Dunkin coffee and donuts. Well, I did anyways, Amber enjoyed her ¨traditional¨ hashbrowns and iced blended, but, whatever.
Afterwards, Amber´s car wouldn´t start so I helped to push it BY MYSELF while the Hondurans honked at us to get out of the way! Thanks for not helping this gringa to push a massive beast of a 1986? Toyota Land Cruiser. THAT´S WHY MY ARMS HURT! No seriously, I have been sore all day and couldn´t remember what I did to make them hurt! Thank goodness for blogging.


I looked in two different Dunkins for take home one pound coffee bags. Finally, on our way home in another city I bought the last two bags. mmmm...waking up to that, there´s nothing better.

on the other hand, we don´t have any running water right now. ah, Honduras.

Santi of course had a lot to love about our week there.  McDonald´s became a new normal word in his vocabulary, unfortunately, and that kid has such an amazing sense of direction. Don´t ask me where he gets it! We´d pass a Mcdonald´s and he´d call out...¨McDonald´s!...Slide! ...French Fries!...¨ Yes, we ate way more than our share of fast food. I started a new workout regime today that I like to call ¨Losing Christmas...and other holidays¨.  

Monday we got up early and drove the hour to the embassy, which should´ve only taken half an hour, but you know, traffic!  Then we waited in the embassy until past noon. Santi was so good though the whole time we went to the local Ämerican Store¨ called Mas X Menos, or ¨More for Less¨, and we were going to buy him a play drum, which they didn´t sell, so we bought him a piggy bank instead, and he loooooves putting coins in there! ¨more money!¨he came and said to me today. uh oh. Look, Santi, I´m glad you like to save, but MAMA CARRIES NO CASH!.  He loved playing on any and all play areas in the fast food restaurants we went to, riding the escalators, elevators, and coin operated moving toys, like horses and motorcycles. I also got to buy him some new shoes, slippers,and a Winnie the Pooh video.

The embassy visit went well and they will call us back for an interview within two to four weeks. Please keep us in your prayers!

No comments:

Post a Comment