Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Art Sale, Hanging out, etc.

Last Saturday a local business sponsored a neighborhood-wide yard sale. They provided the permits and did all the advertising. We couldn't pass up such a great event. Beto displayed about 14 paintings. He sold only one but the most important part is that one local business owner drove by and invited Beto to display his paintings at her coffee shop on the first Friday of April during Bixby Knolls' First Friday event when many people from the area check out all the local businesses. If for just that one contact it was worth it to be out in front for about 5 hours. And the sponsors even brought us donuts!


















He loves to play in these pebbles.








Usually I never have time to get on the computer but this morning I am taking advantage of a quiet morning as Beto is actually home from work and helping out with Santi.














That first sentence was a few hours ago. Right as I finished typing it Beto and Santi came in and it was time for Santi's nap, which meant I took advantage of the nap time by working out or I won't exercise at all.














I know I've not blogged in a few weeks, or maybe just one week, but it feels like awhile, and the other night I was talking with my sister Mary and she said, "Now see, that would make good blog material." Of course, now I don't remember what we were talking about.














I know it was Kevin's birthday and she was making cupcakes and we got to talk to Toby. He loves to tell us about his piano and guitar lessons and how the strings are making calouses on his fingers since he just started.














Then I asked her if she knew that the Health Bill had passed and she was shocked and very disappointed and I told her about a conversation I had with my mom about it and how in the world did it ever get passed? Is it because not enough people spoke up against it? And the federaly funded abortions...how in the world did we as Christians not make a bigger fuss about it? But not just that, are we praying enough about it, and things like this? But you know, God is always in control and we know that things are going to get worse before they get better, meaning that the world isn't going to get any better up until Jesus comes back.Should we really be surprised at what is happening, i.e. all the earthquakes all over the world? And what do we expect when we push God out of our country? I think I heard it best from I think it was Billy Graham's daughter being interviewed on a "Good Morning America" type show right after "9/11". She stated something to the effect of "God is a gentlemen and won't force himself into where He's not wanted. We've "uninvited" God out of our schools, homes, even churches! So He's left and then we wonder what in the world is happening?!"














Many people don't want God involved in their lives but when tragedy strikes they blame Him and then they want Him there. And God is faithful, He will be there when we call with a sincere heart.














OK, sorry for digressing. I don't know where all that came from.














So then Mary and I were talking about how God's blessed us through our Uncle Bruce and Aunt Romaine by giving Beto "things to do" down at their apt. building.














We are at 77% now of what we need to raise for our year in Honduras and that means we only need between $4,000 and $5,000 more (not counting for a car, which we will really need down there especially now that we have Santi).














When we first got here we were so excited that we had a whole year to do things like go to the beach, go to all the LA museums, etc. but now that we're almost going back!!! we have been to one museum...the Tar Pits. But my mom reminded me that we have been to San Francisco, Seattle, Boston, Vermont, NYC, and Washington D.C.! So we can't complain!














Our small spanish group is still going real well. We had a new friend last week.














We are so blessed to be here with my family who helps us so much. This month we've had two date nights already. We are all trying to mentally prepare for life back in Honduras.














2 comments:

  1. WOW Laura....all very well put. I hate the health care reform but I can't get too worked up over it. I have to remember that God is in control. Thanks for that reminder. And I LOVE Beto's art work and hope that the coffee shop proves to be a great avenue for him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beto is sooooooo talented, my gosh! I love staring at his paintings.
    Very well put about the state of our country today. It is no less than a tragedy but the song that's been going through my head for weeks (I have to think God put it there) is 'This world is not my home...'.

    ReplyDelete