Sunday, February 01, 2009

A Very , very good Friday

PROLOGUE...THIS IS FROM A COUPLE FRIDAY´S AGO...JAN.22 I THINK...




A Very, Very Good Friday
First let me start with a story that didn’t happen today but goes along with the continuing theme in our lives: God’s faithfulness and provision.
About a month ago we opened a second location thanks to our friends from church who lent (for free) us a space in front of their very prominent business in the center of town. The night before we were to open we were discussing how we were going to haul the big things there that we needed, that wouldn’t fit on the moto. Things like a table and chairs. We thought of a friend who could help us but we didn’t have any phone minutes nor the money to buy them, so we kind of just let it go, hoping for a miracle. About 8pm that night, the same friend we were wanting to call called US and asked if he, his wife and one year old daughter could come over. “SURE!”, we said. They came and brought 2 cans of fruit cocktail! What a treat! They stayed and chatted awhile, we served them a light dinner and then we prayed together. It was an incredible blessing. And of course before we left we asked if Samuel, the husband, could help us haul our stuff to the center the next morning, and of course he showed up on time the next day. Praise God!

Ok, so that brings me to today. Well, we have been struggling financially. All businesses seem to be struggling this month, being after Christmas, and not much traffic passing our house because school isn’t in session yet (starts early February) and many people aren’t working, etc. The business in the center has been a life saver and we realize that God gives us what we need, after talking to some friends who also have their own businesses and learning that some days they make nothing or close to that. We have been praying for a couple weeks that God help us pay a debt and start to save some money. We save our tithe for the month here in the house and give it at the end of the month. We had to begin dipping into the tithe a lot and were going deeper into “the hole”. It’s one thing to owe a person but to owe GOD! That is a bit more stressful. I mean, we owe him our lives, souls, hearts, minds, but I am digressing here. So we didn’t do too bad at the house today. Best day we’ve had here in a few weeks. Around two o’clock(which felt like 6pm), a car drives up with three people and I recognize only one. One gets out and asks what we’re selling and after I tell him he asks if the house is ours and if he can go inside and see it?! I’m thinking, “What?” He speaks perfect Spanish but he could pass for a gringo. Then he explains that he used to live here 12 years ago, so Beto takes him, his sister and friend inside. When they come out we find out they have lived in CA for 10 years, are perfectly bilingual, Hondruan, and their parents were missionaries here. We had a great conversation and we hope to see them when we visit CA soon. As they’re leaving, he quickly puts some money in my hand and says, “Here, this is not from me, it’s from God.” I didn’t look till they left but it was the exact amount we needed to get out of “the hole”! I started to cry I was so overwhelmed.
We also had a good day in the center so that FINALLY we put some money back into the savings and had some left over.
But I’m not finished!
Around 6 I get a call from a family from church. At first they say they want to come over now for dinner. I’m thinking, “uh, Ok, how many?” She tells me and then adds that they will bring the dinner. So then I’m like, “Oh yea! Come on over!” Wow! Just when I thought the day coulnd’t get any better, they came and brought a tooooooooon of food, cooked it and cleaned up afterwards.
But wait, there’s more!
They brought us, oh I don’t know, well, A LOT of groceries. When I saw all the bags I put my hands up to my cheeks like that kid in “Home Alone”, but not so dramatic, and asked her, “How did you know?” She replied, “Jesus told me!” I said, “Well, I’ve been telling Jesus.” There was everything from pasta to toilet paper, even a variety of cleaning supplies (hint hint?), and “luxury” items like paper towels and real Heinz Ketchup! Everything left over from dinner they left with us, practically everything I had on the list for shopping the next day. Beto and I were so overwhelmed we didn’t know whether to scratch our watches or wind our butts (ever seen Steel Magnolias?).

Oh, and I almost forgot! Beto went to take out the rent money today and there was ANOTHER deposit (we think from where he teaches Bible) that 95% covers our rent for February, which I’ve been praying about because we were going to have to rely totally on the business to pay the rent, which was a bit (ok, a lot) daunting.
So that’s just one day. We’re so overwhelmed we don’t know what to say. Thanks to all of you who are praying for us. We certainly feel your prayers! They are more valuable than anything!
How bout you? How have you seen God provide in your life lately?
All glory be to Him!

No comments:

Post a Comment